Netgear Orbi WiFi routers are mesh-capable and listed as fast smart home WiFi. As is becoming common in the community, mesh-capable routers offer several distinct advantages to traditional devices. Instead of the typical looks of a router, the Orbi looks like a piece of modern art. Performance-wise, mesh routers act as a booster so instead of having a central location, you get boosted speeds because of the WiFi devices. They are very easy to set up, and you can easily get more to expand your network. Of course, that depends on your needs.
The company is very well-known and has a number of options and features. One of those is the ability to install VPN software. Not to be confused, the OpenVPN software will give you remote access to your network. This is not the same as using a VPN to protect your entire home network for outgoing connections. Unfortunately the Netgear Orbi devices do not support this type of VPN configuration. However, you can still set up a VPN client on each of your devices. All of the VPNs in our post allow you to install apps on an unlimited number of devices and connect on at least 5 at a time. Here’s a quick look at our list of the best VPNs for Netgear Orbi WiFi.
As we mentioned, the Netgear Orbi WiFi router looks more like a piece of art than a router. One of the good features of the system is the ability to add OpenVPN software to the device. When you do, you can connect to your home network via VPN while traveling. You would need to add a secondary router to protect all the devices on your network when they communicate. That includes the “IoT” devices on your network. Whether you have a smart fridge, WiFi doorbell, or a personal assistant, no one wants their devices to get hacked. By connecting to a VPN, you will protect your devices but this requires a secondary router and some technical expertise. When you create a layer of encryption, it protects your entire network. That will make it difficult for anyone to get to hack your network.
ExpressVPN has a third party firmware that you can install on specific devices. The Netgear devices that are supported include the R6300v2, R6400v2, Nighthawk R6700v3, Nighthawk R7000, and Nighthawk R7000P. You could place one of these routers in front of your Orbi system to work as a VPN passthrough. This would allow you to encrypt your traffic as it passes through your network.
What is the Best VPN for Netgear Orbi WiFi?
To best answer this question, we need to take a look at several things. Because of that, we will take a look at security factors primarily. By looking at those factors, we can tell you what the best VPN for Netgear Orbi WiFi is.
- Strong military-grade encryption to help protect the privacy of all of your devices when you add one of the routers listed above as a secondary device to your Orbi system.
- Providers that offer a strict no-logs policy
- Multi-platform mobile app support including Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Firestick
- Large and stable networks to avoid dropped connections
From here, we’ll take a closer look at the best VPNs to use with Netgear Orbi WiFi.
Of course, you can find sports fans all over the world. Because different events interest different people, you can expect strong regional support where the event takes place. What you can not always expect, however, is to be able to watch it if you are outside the area. The idea is to connect to a VPN server from ExpressVPN. As long as you connect to one in the area of the sporting event, you will be able to watch the local broadcast. Just make sure you have an account for one of the streaming options for the event.
One of the great things you can do with ExpressVPN is unblock content if you are outside the country. Whether you are from the UK or just enjoy the great programming from the British Broadcasting Corporation, you already know it is only available in the UK. When you connect to ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer service, you will be able to access your favorite BBC content, from the US or other countries around the world. You also gain a speed advantage over connecting to a VPN server.
ExpressVPN launched in 2009 and has grown into a premier VPN service. Whether you want to protect your privacy online, enjoy your favorite streaming services while traveling, or watch live sports, ExpressVPN is a great choice. You can rely on their network for fast, stable connections. This is true for VPN users and those who rely on their MediaStreamer feature to extend functionality to game consoles and more. We suggest signing up for our ExpressVPN deal which includes 3 months free when you subscribe for 12 months. The savings, along with a 30-day money-back guarantee make ExpressVPN an excellent choice.
While NordVPN isn’t the oldest player in the VPN community, they have certainly made a splash in the space. They are very popular, and the company took its name from the Nordic ideals of trust, confidence, and innovation. Since their founding in 2012, you can not visit any type of media without seeing an advertisement of some sort. They mention that they have 12 million users worldwide. Given that, you are in great hands if you choose NordVPN. They manage a large network to help meet your goals for using a VPN.
For all the sports fans out there, it can sometimes be challenging to watch your favorite event, match, or game. If you travel abroad, that can be a big problem. The solution to that, however, is to connect to a VPN server from NordVPN. To do so, all you have to do is choose the proper location. An example of that is if you have an ESPN account and are outside the US, connecting to an American VPN server would allow you to view it with no issues.
If you are not aware, one of the big reasons to connect to a VPN server from Private Internet Access is to help you gain access to content from other regions. Whether you want to watch one of the great shows from the BBC, CBC, or some of the other excellent networks around the world, all you have to do is connect to a VPN. Then, simply pick a server in the area you wish to see. That will make the blocking software assume that you are in the correct region.
If you are looking to protect your entire family with a VPN, you can’t go wrong with Private Internet Access. Unlike some of its competitors, it offers its users the ability to use up to 10 simultaneous connections. That is excellent news for families that want to protect everything. If that sounds like a high number, just remember that the figure takes into account all of the mobile devices, laptops, and possibly routers no matter where they are. As you can see, Private Internet Access has you covered.
If you play older games that move to browsers or games that you would natively play in one, you should consider connecting to a CyberGhost VPN server. Unfortunately, some games can take a while to load. Of course, that depends on the browser you choose. Often, that is because of ads or processes that are running in the background when loading the page. By connecting to a VPN, you will be able to block all of the things that could slow you down when playing your favorite browser games.
While streaming is prevalent these days, it is not hard to get bored with some of the things available. The solution to boredom is to connect to a VPN server from CyberGhost. All you need to do is choose a server in a different region. When you do, you can gain access to a whole new library of content that you may never have seen before. That way, you can enjoy many new libraries and check out others when you are ready to move on.
Unfortunately, not all countries are as free with letting their citizens see content as others are. Some countries openly admit to monitoring the online behaviors of anyone using the internet. That is why you need to connect to a VPN server from IPVanish. If you visit a country like China and view the wrong thing online, you could end up speaking with the authorities. However, connecting to a VPN server will provide you with a layer of encryption that will help keep you safe online no matter where you are.
One of the significant advantages of using IPVanish when you’re gaming is to help you get around lag. While you may not think about it, using a VPN may make your game faster because of network congestion. Whether you game competitively or just casually, using a VPN could make a difference between in-game life and death. All you have to do is connect to the closest server to you, and you may be able to get around any issues that the lag causes.
How to Set Up an Incoming VPN Service on an Orbi WiFi System
Want to set up a VPN for inbound traffic? This is different from protecting your outgoing traffic. The Netgear Orbi system has built in support for incoming VPN connections. You can set it up to allow secure access to your home network when traveling. Here are the instructions for setting the VPN up for Windows, iOS, and Android.
How to Use a VPN on Netgear Orbi WiFi with Windows
This process is easy, but you do need to follow these steps with your Windows client.
- Open a web browser and enter the web address orbilogin.com.
- When prompted, enter the user name and password. If you have not changed this or if this is the first time you are setting it up, the user name is admin and the default password is password. Make sure that you do them in lower case since they are case-sensitive
- Next, select Advanced > Advanced Setup > VPN service. Choose the Enable VPN Service box and click apply.
- Visit the following website https://openvpn.net/index.php/download/community-downloads.html to download the OpenVPN client utility.
- When you find the Windows section, open the “OpenVPN-install-xxx-exe” file and click the “Next” button, accept the User Licensing Agreement, and click Next again.
- After choosing a destination for the file, click install and finish.
- Unzip the config files and copy them the folder where the VPN service is installed. The Default is C:\Programfiles\OpenVPN\config\.
- For Windows, modify the VPN interface name to something like NETGEAR-VPN. Then, go to the Networks page and select Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.
- Find the local area connection with the device name that says TAP-Windows Adapter.
- Select the local area connection and change its name (not its device name) to NETGEAR-VPN. Please note, if you do not change the VPN interface name, the VPN tunnel connection will fail.
How to Use a VPN on Netgear Orbi WiFi with Android or iOS
While this process is similar, you will see several differences from the process above.
- Open a web browser on your phone, providing it is connected to the same network as your router.
- Enter orbilogin.com and enter the user name and password. Just like above, the user name is admin and the default password is password.
- Now, select Advanced > Advanced Setup> VPN Service > select Enable VPN Service checkbox > apply.
- Download the OpenVPN configuration files for the smartphone, again referencing the https://openvpn.net/index.php/download/community-downloads.html website.
- Install the OpenVPN Connect app from the Google Play Store or Apple app store and connect.
The Netgear Orbi WiFi system is a great addition to the next generation family of WiFi routers. Instead of using extenders, the WiFi is much faster and you get better connectivity. You can also connect to a VPN to protect your devices and help you get around geographical restrictions.