Google Nest WiFi routers are mesh-capable and produced by Google. Instead of the typical looks of a router, Google has made it into a “pill” design. That makes it virtually unrecognizable as a router. It has a positive reception in the market and is praised for its ease of setup. We use the mesh WiFi system and have been happy with the performance.
It has Gbp ports for those that have a gigabit connection. The router also has a Google Wifi app that allows you to see what devices are on your wireless network. If you are having a hard time with your internet connection, then you can prioritize your connected device through the app.
You will find that the Google WiFi system will work well and offer you the ability to update your DNS settings. Of course, that includes ExpressVPN MediaStreamer service. You can also connect the Nest WiFi system through another router with VPN enabled to proect every device on you network. We will tell you why that is important in a moment. Before we do, though, please look closely at our list of the best VPNs for Google WiFi routers.
The Google WiFi router is great because it will provide coverage for your home wifi, looks relatively innocuous, and allows you to protect your network using a VPN. Of course, there are some advantages and disadvantages to doing that, and we’ll talk about that shortly. A VPN will protect your Google WiFi router and all network devices by creating a layer of protection that covers everything. That will make it much tougher for anyone to compromise your network.
Want help setting up your Google WiFi or Nest WiFi router with a VPN? Refer to our guide for help:
Pros and cons of running Google WiFi through a secondary router with VPN support
- Covers all devices on your network. While some might not think about it, not all devices have the ability to install VPNs. That includes your favorite Internet of Things “IoT” products like smart TVs, washers, dryers, refrigerators, and even doorbells. By connecting to a VPN on your router, though, you can ensure that those devices are protected no matter what they are.
- Continuous coverage. In the early days of the internet, you would have to dial in to reach the internet if you wanted to use it. However, now, it is always on. Instead of worrying about turning it on, connecting a VPN on your router will make sure you are always covered, even when you are away or sleeping.
- Free up device connections. One thing that some people complain about is the number of connections they have. That is because if you have multiple devices on a network, you can quickly run out of connections. By protecting your router, everyone can use the internet safely without using up all of the simultaneous connections in one location.
- Some incoming connection blocking. Unfortunately, this type of thing occurs in certain situations. An example of this is trying to connect your smartphone to sync data with a computer or even another smartphone. That is because, by nature, the VPN will block some types of connections.
- Local traffic is not secured. If you have your WiFi set up to allow open connections, you are defeating one of the reasons to connect to a VPN. If someone is able to connect to your network, they can see your unprotected devices and possibly cause damage.
- Not as easy to change settings. Although most of the providers have easy apps, changing something on the router version is not quite as easy as making changes from the individual devices themselves. The exception being ExpressVPN which offers a custom app for routers.
What is the Best VPN for Google Nest WiFi Routers?
When trying to answer this question, there are several things we need to take a look at. Because of that, we will take a look at security factors primarily. By looking at those factors, we can tell you what the best VPN for Google WiFi routers is.
- Multi-platform mobile app support including Andoirdd and iOS.
- Strong military-grade encryption to help protect the privacy of all of your devices
- Large and stable networks to avoid dropped connections
- VPN services that offer a strict no-logs policy
- Ability to get around geo-restrictions, sports blackouts, or government censorship
From here, we’ll take a closer look at the best VPNs to use with Google Nest WiFi routers.
When it comes to keeping yourself safe, ExpressVPN is one of the best choices you can make. Whether you are looking for secure encryption protocols, privacy protection features, a strict no-logs policy, or other things, you will find them all with this provider. Additionally, if you have ever had an issue creating a secure password, you are in luck. ExpressVPN has a random password generator on their website that will help you do so. It can generate multiple passwords, and you can securely download the generator page if you wish to use it offline.
ExpressVPN maintains more than 3000 servers around the world and regularly adds new locations. With servers on every continent except Antarctica, the company operates 160 server locations in 94 countries. That means they have one of the largest VPN networks, and they have a presence in almost half the counties in the world. While the service may be more expensive than some of its competitors, the network gives them an advantage. You are likely to encounter some of the fastest speeds using this VPN.
ExpressVPN is out top-rated VPN service of 2020. Regardless of your gaols for using a VPN, ExpressVPN combines a robust network with privacy features to keep you protected. We commonly use it to protect our privacy while traveling and access our favorite streaming services back home. While you can sign up for monthly access, we recommend their current special which gives you 3 months free when you sign up for a year. Either way you will have 30 days to test their network with the ExpressVPN money-back-guarantee.
Gamers spend quite a bit of time and money on their gaming accounts. However, sometimes players don’t pay enough attention to security. If you are trying to keep your account safe, you’ll want to connect to a server by using NordVPN. By doing so, it will help you ensure that your achievements, finances, time spent, and inventory are safe from harm. Of course, you will want to take other precautions as well, but that is an essential step if you are a gamer.
While all providers promise security, some may not be protecting your privacy when using their service. However, NordVPN does an excellent job of doing that. You can quickly test their DNS security by using the leak test on their website or checking an independent site. By doing so, you will see if others can detect your location. If they can’t, though, you won’t have to worry about groups or organizations tracking you if you are connecting to a VPN. DNS leak protect is a must-have for VPN users.
If you are looking for a VPN provider that does not keep logs, Private Internet Access has you covered. Over the years, they have developed a well-known reputation throughout the community. While some companies claim they do not keep logs, but then turn them over to authorities, The team at Private Internet Access continuously takes steps to make sure that they protect their users’ interests. If privacy is important to you, you will find that this one is the right choice to make.
If you are one of the many people that like to stream sports on your favorite mobile device, connecting to a VPN server from Private Internet Access may be useful to you. More and more providers are allowing their users to watch some sports for free. Great examples of that include baseball and American football in the US. However, if you are traveling abroad or are otherwise outside of your home area, you would miss out on those games. By connecting to a VPN server you should be able to regain the access you wish.
Once you sign up for your VPN service with CyberGhost, the company provides you with seven simultaneous connections. While that will take care of most families or groups, it may not solve the problems of everyone. If you are worried about running out of connections, setting up your VPN through a router may help you. When you do so, you will ensure that all of the devices that you attach to your network are protected. Of course, that will help you free up some connections.
Some VPN providers state they do not keep logs. However, they do not always keep that promise. CyberGhost says they keep their no-logs policy strict. In this case, that means they do not store or collect your IP address, DNS queries, browser history, web content you accessed, connection and disconnection timestamps, session duration, bandwidth usage, or even the VPN servers you use to connect. That is because they feel that information is none of their business. As you can see, when it comes to privacy, CyberGhost has you covered.
If you are a gamer that likes to play online, you probably know that while popular games eventually become available in all regions, it is not always at the same time. The trick to that is to connect to a VPN server from IPVanish located in one of the early access countries. Australia is a popular choice. By doing so, you will make the software think you are there. That way, you can enjoy the game and play it earlier than others in your area.
Sports fans around the world often like to support their hometown team. If you are in some of those cities, however, you may be limited to what you can watch online. For those that want to watch their team online, you can’t do that due to licensing restrictions. Fortunately, there is a way around that problem. By connecting to a VPN from IPVanish, you only need to connect to a server in another city. That causes the blocking software to see you as “out-of-market” so you can watch your team on your favorite device.
Consider you’re purpose for using a VPN. For example, if you want to get around geo-restrictions and access content in other countries then you can use ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer service without taking the performance hit of using a VPN. It is available to all members. They have a guide to walk you through changing the DNS server address for the Google Nest WiFi system.
If you have any questions you can always reach out to ExpressVPN support. They are there to help 24/7 with live chat support. Otherwise you can rely on any of the VPNs on our list to provide strong privacy protection. Noe that you may need some technical knowledge to install the VPNs (aside from ExpressVPN) on your router. You will then enable the VPN and connect your Google WiFi system to it in order to protect your network.