Smartphones make up more than 60% of all computing. Of that traffic, almost 64% is from Android devices. However, recent years have seen Apple’s market share increase. While Android once had an 81% market share, Apple is making inroads. Some of the reasons behind that are because of new features like the ones we saw at WWDC 2022. If you are not familiar with it, that is the Apple World Wide Development Conference. They usually preview the new things for Apple products and include new macOS and iOS versions. This year, the new version is called iOS 16. If you have an iPhone and are looking forward to the new operating system, we suggest you connect to a VPN.
For many years, Apple has done a good job of being an industry leader with the iPhone and iOS. While the hardware can be top of the line, it’s the software’s responsibility to ensure we can take full advantage of everything our iPhones offer. The company does that by giving us features we want and sometimes features we didn’t even know we needed. That is undoubtedly true with iOS 16. The new version has some fun things like customization options as well as more important ones like the Safety Check and more. Of course, there is quite a bit more it offers than what you see here. We’ll briefly go over some of the features below.
Here are some of the features of iOS 16. It seems that iOS 16 has several customization options. Please look at some of the specifics below.
- Lock screen tweaks – Unlike before, iOS gives you the ability to tweak your lock screen. Now, you can easily tweak the image you use, change the font and color of the clock, add widgets, and more. You can even have multiple lock screens, depending on your mood. It also offers an option called live activities. That’s perfect for food delivery or tracking your favorite sports team. If you have an Apple watch, you can add activity widgets to this screen.
- Message tweaking – Have you ever wished you could edit or unsend a message with iMessage? While you can do that on other messaging apps like Discord, you can now unsend or edit messages. That can be a real benefit, especially if you have ever sent a message and wished you had not.
- Safety Check – This unique feature is specific, but it offers help to people in domestic violence situations. We all love our iPhones, but sometimes they can cause issues. Safety Check allows you to reset system privacy permissions for apps and restricts messages and FaceTime to the device on hand.
Security is one of the big things Apple focuses on. As with any iOS version, there are more features than we will mention here. However, another way to protect your security on your iPhone and iOS 16 is to connect to a VPN. Fortunately, that adds an extra layer of encryption to your browsing. You’ll appreciate that if you connect to public WiFi to help save your data. When it comes to the Safety Check, a VPN may be able to help you secure additional items.
Choosing the best VPN for iOS 16
When making a VPN choice for iOS 16, there are some things you should look for. These include:
- Fast servers – You want your connection speed to be as fast as possible, especially if you are streaming content. No one wants to stream a show, movie, or video and have it start buffering. You can resolve that issue by choosing a provider that offers high-speed servers like the ones we show above.
- A good list of advanced features – Besides good speeds, features can make or break a VPN provider when using iOS 16. Even though providers may offer different options, you’ll want to ensure that the one you choose at least provides a kill switch feature. That will stop your connection from broadcasting if the VPN unexpectedly disconnects.
- Providers with high network stability – To help stop your VPN from disconnecting, choosing a provider with high network stability will allow you to prevent that. You don’t want to be in the middle of something crucial on iOS 16 and have your VPN disconnect.
- Ability to get around censorship and geo-restrictions – Whether you are watching something from a different region or trying to access blocked content, you want to ensure the VPN provider you choose can help you get past any restrictions you may have.
Please look closely at the providers we recommend for iOS 16.
1. Best VPN for iOS 16: ExpressVPN
Get 3 months free with 12 months of our #1 rated VPN
If you are a gamer, there is something cool you can do by connecting to a VPN server with ExpressVPN. One of the biggest gaming platforms in the world is Steam. It is prevalent and accessible everywhere. What you may not realize is that games have different prices, depending on what country you are in. You can connect to another country where your favorite game is cheaper. That way, you can get the best value for your money. Some countries to try for lower pricing include Brazil and India.
With servers on every continent except Antarctica, ExpressVPN operates 160 server locations in 94 countries. That means they have one of the largest VPN networks, and they have a presence in almost half the counties in the world. While the service may be more expensive than some of its competitors, you get a premium VPN dedicated to privacy (ExpressVPN keeps no activity logs, so your browsing is kept private) with some of the fastest speeds, apps for every device, and 24/7 customer support to help troubleshoot any issues.
Want to learn more? Read our full ExpressVPN review.
- 100% zero logging
- 160 server locations in 94 countries
- Good performance
- P2P support
- Strong encryption and security features
- User-friendly VPN apps and Smart DNS
- Only 5 simultaneous connection per account
- Streaming server locations are not labeled
2. Best VPN for iOS 16: NordVPN
With over 5100 servers located in 59 countries, NordVPN has a massive network. That is an excellent thing if you are trying to make sure you get high speeds. Of course, encryption overhead can quickly slow down your connection. They have you covered no matter what you plan on doing while using it. NordVPN does well to offer you the best possible speeds so you can enjoy the positive benefits of connecting to a VPN.
Want to learn more? Read our full NordVPN review.
- Double VPN feature
- 6 simultaneous connections
- Independently audited
- Specialty servers for P2P and Double VPN
- SmartPlay Smart DNS feature
- Works with Netflix and torrenting
- Server breach in 2018
- Some servers and locations are slow
3. Best VPN for iOS 16: PIA
As internet speeds continue to increase around the world, more and more streaming services gain popularity. Fortunately, that means Private Internet Access can help you see the ones you want to. If you have a specific streaming service in mind, the provider makes it easy. With their simple setup, all you have to do is pick a server in the country you want to use. Then, connect to the right one and you are on your way to watching your favorite shows or movies.
Want to learn more? Read our full Private Internet Access review.
- PIA MACE blocks ads and trackers
- Anonymous payment options
- VPN kill switch feature
- Blocks ads, trackers, and malware
- Good torrent download speeds
- Works with US Netflix
- Limited servers outside the US
- Average speeds in the US
4. Best VPN for iOS 16: CyberGhost
Some countries have streaming services that are specific to that country. For example, if you want to watch HBO Now outside the US, Hulu outside the US, Stan outside Australia, or others, you need to connect to a VPN server in that region. Of course, there are excellent streaming services all over the world. We do not feel that you should have to miss out on them, simply because of where you are. Fortunately, the way around that is to connect to a CyberGhost VPN server located in the area you want to see. Then, you should be able to enjoy your favorite streaming services no matter where they are.
Want to learn more? Read our full CyberGhost review.
- Force HTTPS feature to secure sites
- Protects from DNS and IP leaks
- Supports up to 7 devices at once
- Random port option help get around blocks
- Works with US Netflix
- Difficult to set up routers
- Windows app does not notify on disconnects
5. Best VPN for iOS 16: IPVanish
Sports fans around the world often like to support their hometown team. If you are in some of those cities, however, you may be limited to what you can watch online. For those that want to watch their team online, you can’t do that due to licensing restrictions. Fortunately, there is a way around that problem. By connecting to a VPN from IPVanish, you only need to connect to a server in another city. That causes the blocking software to see you as “out-of-market” so you can watch your team on your favorite device.
Want to learn more? Read our full IPVanish review.
- Firestick app popular for Kodi
- Own and manager their own servers
- No-log VPN with third-part audit
- Unlimited concurrent connections
- No IP or DNS leaks
- Hit and miss for Netflix
- Knowledgebase is lacking