The 2020 World Junior Ice Hockey Championship marks the 44th time this yearly event has been held. This year the IIHF World Junior Championship will be held in the Czech Republic. The games will be played at Ostravar Aréna in Ostrava and Werk Arena in Třinec. The Czech Republic has hosted the championship four times now. Given the long-standing popularity of ice hockey in the region, the event is sure to be a hit. Watch the action from anywhere in the world with a VPN.
The preliminary round will begin on December 26, 2019, with the gold medal game played on January 5, 2020. That will give you a week and a half to watch and follow the best junior ice hockey players in the world. Watch as your favorite team competes for gold. TSN is broadcasting the event in Canada. Along with the NHL network in the US and other networks around the world. I’ll provide a full list later in the post.
Why Do You Need a VPN Service?
If you’re reading this post from Canada or the United States, you won’t need a VPN to watch the games. However, if you live or will be traveling outside the US and Canada then a VPN will help you unblock geographic restrictions. Networks block people outside the country. A VPN will give you an IP address in another country which opens content as if you sitting in that country.
Best VPN for the World Junior Ice Hockey Championship
First you will want to find a reliable VPN service. In this case you will want one with fast VPN servers to watch all the action. That narrows the field quite a bit. Fortunately our favorite VPN is offering a discount during the event.
There are several networks that will broadcast the tournament. For the sake these instructions, we will use NHL Network in the United States.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30 day risk-free money-back guarantee)
- Download and install the ExpressVPN app on your device
- Connect to a VPN server in the US so you can get coverage.
- Visit NHL Network and cheer your favorite team on the victory.
How to Use a VPN to Watch the Championship
Want more help getting set up. Here’s a more thorough guide with a screenshot to help you get started. I’ll use ExpressVPN for the example of how to use a VPN service to watch the World Junior Ice Hockey Championship.First you’ll want to download the VPN client. ExpressVPN offers free client software for Windows, Mac and Linux. In addition to free apps for iOS and Android.
Now that you’ve had a chance to download and install the software it’s time to connect. Launch the ExpressVPN client and select a server location. We’ll walk you through step by step using their Windows client.
- ExpressVPN has a large network of servers all over the world. Select a country in which you want to watch coverage. Some popular choices include Canada and the United States.
- We recommend you select OpenVPN (TCP) or (UDP). For streaming videos from sites like YouTube, we use OpenVPN (UDP) because its faster than TCP. They also support PPTP, L2TP, and IKEv2. We still recommend OpenVPN UDP for the best mix of speed and privacy protection.
- Click the big round connect button. After a few seconds, you’ll see the shield around the button turn green. There will also be a message letting you know the “VPN is ON”
- You now have an IP address in the USA, as far as anyone can tell online. As such, you can reach any site as if you were sitting there. The same would be true if you connected to a server in the UK or anywhere else in the world.
- Nw, you will use the credentials from your cable/satellite/streaming subscription account to log into the website you want to use to watch the games.
It is just that easy to do. Now that you have an IP address from an ExpressVPN server in the country you chose, you can browse the internet or watch the World Junior Ice Hockey Championship as if you were actually there. The same is true from any country. Connect to a server in the Canada to watch the TSN coverage.
As you can probably tell by now a good VPN opens access to content around the world. If you live outside the United States the service can help you access popular services like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Instant. You still need an account for services like Netflix but the VPN will help you watch US television shows and movies on Netflix as if you were sitting in the United States.
Coverage of the World Junior Ice Hockey Championship
Here’s a list of networks that will be broadcasting the 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship:
- Canada – TSN, RDS
- Czech Republic – CT
- Europe – Eurosport
- Finland – MTV3
- Russia – NTV Plus
- Slovakia – STV
- Sweden – SVT, Viasat
- United States – NHL Network
Remember to connect to a server in the country you want to watch coverage in. For example, TSN.ca online coverage is only available to those with a Canadian IP address.
Schedule for the Preliminary Round
Here’s the schedule and location of the preliminary round games:
Round A – Werk Arena
Round B – Ostravar Arena
Catch all the action by watching online coverage of this year’s World Junior Ice Hockey Championship. Please share this post with your friends so they can enjoy the games as well. Follow us @VPNFan for the latest deals.