The Winter Youth Olympics is a relatively new international bi-annual multi-event tournament for underage athletes. This year, the 3rd version of the games begin on January 9th, 2020 and end on January 22nd, 2020 and will happen in Lausanne, Switzerland. As you might imagine, there is quite a bit of coverage around the world and you can find them depending on what country you are in. However, if you are traveling outside your home country or want to watch specific coverage, you will need to connect to a VPN to help you get around geo-blocks.
How to Watch the Winter Youth Olympics from Anywhere
There are several networks that will show coverage of these games. For the sake these instructions, we will use the Olympic Channel in the United States.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30 day risk-free money-back guarantee)
- Download and install the ExpressVPN app on your device
- Connect to a VPN server in the US so you can get coverage.
- Enjoy the live streaming access of the 2020 Winter Youth Olympics after logging into the Olympic Channel website.
Let’s take a look at the different events that you can find in the games. Of course, we will just use the major events.
- Alpine skiing
- Cross-country skiing
- Figure skating
- Freestyle skiing
- Ice hockey
- Nordic combined
- Short track speed skating
- Ski jumping
- Ski mountaineering
- Speed skating
How to Use a VPN to Watch the Winter Youth Olympics
We’ll use ExpressVPN for the example of how to use a VPN service to stream the Winter Youth Olympics. First, you’ll want to download the VPN client. ExpressVPN offers free client software for Windows, Mac and Linux. In addition to free apps for iOS and Android.
Now that you’ve had a chance to download and install the software, it’s time to connect. We’ll walk you through step by step using their Windows client.
- Select a server location. You are welcome to use one in any of the countries we mentioned, provided you have credentials. As we mentioned, that is because you would be geo-blocked if you are not in the correct area.
- We recommend you select OpenVPN (TCP) or (UDP). For streaming videos from sites like YouTube, we use OpenVPN (UDP) because it’s faster than TCP. They also support PPTP, L2TP, and SSTP. We still recommend OpenVPN UDP for the best mix of speed and privacy protection.
- Click the big round connect button. After a few seconds, you’ll see the shield around the button turn green. There will also be a message letting you know the “VPN is ON”
- You now have an IP address in the United States, as far as anyone can tell online. Now, you can reach any site as if you were sitting there. The same would be true if you connected to a server in a different country.
That’s all there is to it. Now that you have an IP address from the ExpressVPN server in for whatever country you chose, you can browse the Internet as if you were actually there. The same is true from any country. Connect to a server in the United Kingdom to watch coverage there, the US for the Olympic Channel, or the others that we mentioned above.
Enjoy all the excitement of the 2020 Winter Youth Olympics and see which country will come out on top. Please share this post with your friends so they can enjoy all the great events from anywhere in the world with a VPN. Follow us @VPNFan for the latest deals, guides, and news.