As you probably know, the Amazon Firestick is one of the most popular streaming devices in the community these days. That’s because of all of the versatility it has to offer. From streaming shows and movies to playing games, many love that you can use it for different things. Although it has a limited selection, one of the things you can do is install a browser directly onto the Firestick. You have several installation options.
Amazon has its own internet browser called Silk. You used to be able to choose one like Firefox from the Amazon Store, but Amazon discontinued support for Firefox in 2021. That means you can’t install it or re-install it. However, they make it extremely easy to set everything up.
How to install the Silk browser on Firestick
Now, we’ll take a quick look at how to install the Silk browser. Simply follow these directions.
- Make sure your firestick is plugged in and go to the main screen.
- Under Apps, go to Categories and Utility.
- Now, choose the Silk Browser app and select Get.
- After downloading, open the app and accept the Terms and Conditions.
- To set the default search engine, go to Settings > Advanced > Search Engine > Choose your favorite search engine.
Now, you are ready to use the Silk browser as you want. When you do, that gives your Firestick internet ability beyond just using apps.
Advantages and features to using the Silk web browser
There are several advantages and features of using the Silk web browser with Firestick.
- Ability to use a web browser on a big screen TV.
- Use a desktop version of a website instead of a mobile one.
- Easy to use video controls when watching web videos.
- Voice search and ability to navigate website with your voice.
- Ability to go to a VPN website.
One issue that Firestick has had for a while, is the lack of VPN apps in the Amazon app store. However, because you are using a browser now, you can easily go to a service provider’s website like ExpressVPN. Instead of limiting yourself to only what is available in the country, connecting to a VPN will allow you to access streaming services worldwide. That includes popular ones like BT Sports, BBC iPlayer, Stan from Australia, and more.
How to get around geo-restrictions on your Firestick
As we just mentioned, after installing your browser on the Firestick, you can use it to get VPN apps. For this example, we’ll use ExpressVPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee).
- Go to the Silk browser, go to the ExpressVPN website, and download the app.
- Connect to a VPN server in the UK if you want to access a streaming service like BT Sports, BBC iPlayer, or others.
- Whether you choose a UK server or another option, you should be able to watch some great shows and movies, or explore new ones.
- Enjoy the streaming services you want to watch or play the games you want to.
While those steps may seem simple, that’s all you have to install the Silk browser and get around geo-restrictions. You can also take advantage of providers that offer a free Smart DNS feature like ExpressVPN.