VRChat is a new early access game. It has become very popular because of its customized avatars and player interactions. VRChat, as the name implies, is a game in which you talk to and play with others using a virtual reality headset. VRChat has a desktop mode that allows you to play without a headset. You can play the game for free by downloading it from Steam or their VRChat website. Users are encouraged to immerse themselves in the game and hangout with others. Since you play online you are likely to have lag and slow connection times. You may even find it difficult to download the game. To help fix these problems I would recommend a VPN. With a VPN you can change your IP address to another IP by selecting from the available servers. If you select an IP location close to the sever you play on then you could have increased connection time and less lag. A VPN also provides protection from DDoS attacks for anyone trying to keep safe, while playing.
VRChat has many things that players can do. The first of those activities is mini-games. These include Capture the Flag, Sculpture Studio, VR Karaoke, Battle Disc, bowling, Steel n’ Gold, and many more. Sculpture Studio is a painting game in which you draw with friends, Steel n’ Gold is a cop and robbers style competition in which bandits try to steal from a bank, while sheriffs try to capture them. Battle Disc is a one vs. one disc throwing challenge similar to Tron. These games are all multiplayer and are fun to play with friends. These are just a few examples that VRChat and the community have created. You can expect a lot more to come.
Another activity in VRChat is to hangout and chat. In the game you can go to lots of locations like fast food restaurants, jazz clubs, bars, mansions, and space stations. All of these places have many neat interactive items in them. They will also have a lot of other users talking with each other. In places like a court room you might find people doing mock trials and playing around with the room. You might see comedy skits, singing, magic tricks, and many other things being done by players on a stage for a crowd. You could also watch YouTube videos with others. VRChat has many activities to do with its community. You can host events and teach, entertain, or many other things. Through events, VRChat has created the first talk show in VR. The show is named Gunter’s Universe and it is on YouTube.
Creations are a huge part of the game, The community is very creative and as a result they have designed many avatars like Knuckles, emperor penguins, Pokémon, and Scooby Doo. You can also create your own avatar for the game. You can go into a lot of depth using the SDK system in VRChat. Avatars in VRChat can match your speech as you talk and this includes the community made ones as well. Aside from avatars you are also able to create worlds. In these worlds you can create interactive items and customize them however you want. You can invite friends over and hangout at your home and the worlds you create. The community has designed a lot of new avatars and worlds you can use as well. The game has gained enough of a following for some popular YouTubers to play on its servers and hang out with its users. The player base and content is growing at a rapid rate.
VRChat supports the following VR headsets:
- HTC Vive and Oculus Rift
How to Use a VPN to Play VRChat (PC)
I’ll use IPVanish for the example of how to use a VPN for VRChat. First you’ll want to download the VPN client. IPVanish offers free client software for Windows, Mac and Linux. In addition to free apps for iOS and Android.
Now that you’ve had a chance to download and install the software it’s time to connect. Launch the IPVanish client and select a server location. We’ll walk you through step by step using their Windows client.
- Since a lot of gamers like to connect to servers in the US, we used that country for our guide. IPVanish has a large network of servers located all over the world.
- We recommend you select IKEv2 or OpenVPN (UDP). For streaming football games or videos from sites like Netflix we use OpenVPN (UDP). They also support PPTP and L2TP. The IKEv2 and OpenVPN protocols provides a nice mix of fast speeds and privacy protection.
- Click connect. After a few seconds you’ll see the button at the top right turn green. That means you now have an IP address from the US. You’ll also notice the server location and IP address show up at the top of the client.
- You now have an IP address in the USA, as far as anyone can tell online. As such, you can reach any site as if you were sitting there. The same would be true if you connected to a server in the UK or anywhere else in the world.
It is just that easy to do. Now that you have an IP address from an IPVanish server in the US, you can game, browse the Internet or watch shows as if you were actually there. Connecting to a server in the UK would give you full access to geo blocked sites there as well. The same is true from any country.
As you can probably tell by now a good VPN opens access to content around the world. If you live outside the United States the service can help you access popular services like Netflix, Hulu and Pandora. You still need an account for services like Netflix but the VPN will help you watch US television shows and movies on Netflix as if you were sitting in the United States or any other region you would like to access.
Improve Game Speed and Block DDoS Attacks
If you are having problems with lag and DDoS attacks these recommendations should help:
Ways of fixing issues with lag on your laptop:
- Check your speed at speedtest.net. If your speed is fast on a POC directly connected to your modem or router, but your laptop is having issues with lag then your wifi connection may be slowing it down. In this case I recommend you connect the laptop to your router with a network cable or move it closer to the router to test the connection.
- If you try these options and the laptop is still not performing well I would recommend a VPN. Once again a VPN can provide you with a better path to the gaming server which can help reduce lag.
- If you think it is your router having problems then I would recommend you reset it. This can take care of a lot of networking issues. If your router continues to have issues then you might consider a custom DD-WRT or Tomato based device. The custom firmware is well suited for high performance and supports VPN.
How to avoid DDos attacks:
- The best way to avoid DDos attacks is to use a VPN. Once again we recommend ExpressVPN. They run on top of the same game delivery network as Steam and other popular online gaming platforms.
- A VPN will help you avoid DDos attacks by changing your IP address. You can connect to a server in your home country or another region of the world. Doing so will change your IP address which will protect you from DDos attacks since the attacker won’t know what IP address you will be using each time you connect.
VRChat is a new upcoming game with a growing fan base. It has many mini-games to play. You can enjoy by playing and hanging out with other users. You can also create amazing avatars and worlds. VRChat is a fun, free to play game that I’m sure you and your friends will enjoy.