At times, whenever you connect to a VPN, you may encounter an error. While these types of errors are not as common as they used to be, you may still see “Error 619 – Connection could not be established”. Keep in mind on older VPN servers, you will see a message that the “port was disconnected”.
Causes of Error 619
If your VPN suddenly disconnects from an active VPN session, you will see this error. As it attempts to reconnect, you will see the “verifying username and password” step for a few seconds before you finally see the 619 message. If you are using the PTPP protocol, you may see it more frequently.
Fix Error 619
Luckily, the steps to fixing this issue are relatively straight forward.
- If you have multiple VPN clients installed on your PC, make sure only one of them is active.
- Check to make sure that your firewall or antivirus program is not blocking them. If it is, temporarily disable it.
- If you are still having issues, you can try rebooting the computer, delete and re-install the VPN client, Or find another computer with a working configuration and check for any differences.
From time to time, you may notice that if your network drops, these errors will pop up periodically. Usually, restarting the client will take care of these issues.
As you might expect, there are a number of other errors that are similar that you may see as well. Those are:
- VPN error 800: “Unable to establish the VPN connection.” This happens when the client is not able to reach the target VPN server. However, it does not tell you why or when. That differs from error 619 because it occurs only after the client tries to connect. You can cause this error by using an invalid server name.
- VPN error 645: “There was an internal authentication error” You will see this from time to time on obsolete versions of Windows. It happens when problems happen with the username or password. In other words, if you enter the password incorrectly, you may see this one.
There are, of course, others, but those are the most common.
And there you have the easiest and quickest way to solve this issue. If you follow the steps above and you are still having issues with this error, you will need to contact the support for the specific service. It can be very frustrating to receive an error message, but there is no better way to protect yourself from hackers, snoopers, cyberthieves, and more. Just be sure to use one no matter what device you are on. That way, you can enjoy all the benefits of using a VPN whenever you can.