How to Use a VPN to Play Town of Salem
I’ll use ExpressVPN for the example of how to use a VPN service to play Town of Salem online. First you’ll want to download the VPN client. ExpressVPN offers free client software for Windows, Mac and Linux. In addition to free apps for iOS and Android.
Now that you’ve had a chance to download and install the software it’s time to connect. Launch the ExpressVPN client and select a server location. We’ll walk you through step by step using their Windows client.
- Since a lot of gamers like to connect to servers in the US, we used that country for our guide. ExpressVPN has a large network of servers located all over the world.
- We recommend you select OpenVPN (TCP) or (UDP). For streaming videos from sites like YouTube, we use OpenVPN (UDP) because its faster than TCP. They also support PPTP, L2TP, and SSTP. We still recommend OpenVPN UDP for the best mix of speed and privacy protection.
- Click the big round connect button. After a few seconds, you’ll see the shield around the button turn green. There will also be a message letting you know the “VPN is ON”
- You now have an IP address in the USA, as far as anyone can tell online. As such, you can reach any site as if you were sitting there. The same would be true if you connected to a server in the UK or anywhere else in the world.
It is just that easy to do. Now that you have an IP address from an ExpressVPN server in the US, you can game, browse the Internet or watch shows as if you were actually there. Connecting to a server in the UK would give you full access to geo blocked sites there as well. The same is true from any country.
As you can probably tell by now a good VPN opens access to content around the world. If you live outside the United States the service can help you access popular services like Netflix, Hulu and Pandora. You still need an account for services like Netflix but the VPN will help you watch US television shows and movies on Netflix as if you were sitting in the United States or any other region you would like to access.
Town of Salem Game Highlights
Town of Salem takes you back in time to 1692 in Salem, Oregon. The days are long and the nights are short, but deadly. At day you will hang people believed to be bad and argue your point. They will also vote to hang anyone the town thinks is bad, have them explain there case, and vote guilty or innocent. If you are voted guilty you will be sent to the gallows, or any other death animation you have. If they think you are innocent then you go back and the voting will continue. At the point voting time is out or someone was voted out it will turn to night. The night is when some roles kill, some talk to dead, and others burn things down.
Each role has their special abilities that affect them at night or day. They are picked at random. Like slots some roles are more likely to be given to you and you can buy scrolls to increase the odds of getting these roles. Roles are also categorized by teams. Roles and teams in the game include:
Team Town with a goal of lynch all criminals
- Vigilantly (Vig): The Vig is a a role that you have three bullets. You get to shoot three time at night, but not in the same night. If you shoot another town you will die out of guilt.
- Sheriff: The Sheriff allows you to see anyone is suspicious except the Godfather which is not suspicious. This mean that you will be able to know who is bad and convince the town to lynch them.
- Veteran (Vet): Veteran is a role that will allow you to guard yourself three time. you can use one of these each night for three nights and kill everyone who comes to visit. One major problem though is if a Towny come to visit you will kill them too.
- Bodyguard (BG): You will be able to protect anyone you want at night, but you will die if anyone come to attack them. The other person will also die, but the person protected will not. Even if the person is immune you will still kill them. Also you may protect yourself once, which will make you immune.
- Doctor: You can heal anyone you want at at night. This will keep that person from dying. You can also heal yourself once leaving you immune.
- Transporter: You can swap two peoples positions, which will switch all targets against them.
- Spy: You can listen t what everyone whisperers and what the mafia says/does at night.
- Escort: This role gives you the ability to distract some one each night. this will keep them from doing their role’s ability at night.
- Investigator: You can see peoples role at night, but their are two different roles that are given. this mean that you can make a mistake on which role a person is.
- Jailor: You can take some one to jail each night an decide weather to kill him or not. You choose who to jail in the morning and interrogate them at night. you can only kill three people, but all immunities do not apply.
- Retributionist (Ret): The Retributionist will let you raise one person back to life at night. You can only do this once and that person will not know that you did it.
- Lookout: you see who visits a person at night including yourself.
- Medium: Talk to the dead and once to the living when you are dead, but beware the curse of the medium. This is curse is spread around as a joke and it states that when the people figure out you are medium they will kill you the next night.
- Mayor: when you reveal yourself your vote counts as three peoples votes.
Team Neutral with goals that very.
- Serial Killer (SK): Immune at night. You can kill anyone you want at night, but if you are role blocked then you will kill the role blocker. Goal: Kill all that are against you.
- Amnesiac: You can take anyone’s role that died. You may not take unique roles. Goal: finish there goal
- Witch: You can control some one at night and make them do there roles ability to any one you choose. Goal: live to see the town lose.
- Jester: when hanged you can kill one of the guilty. You win with anyone, but if you convince the town to hang you, you will get a bonus. Goal: get hanged
- Arsonist (Arso): you can douse anyone you want at night and then light them on fire when you click on your name. Goal: live to burn everyone that is against you
- Executioner (Ex): There is nothing special, but you are assigned to get someone hanged while you are alive and you win with anyone. Goal: Get your target hanged.
- Survivor: You can protect yourself three time. Goal: Stay alive
Team Mafia with the goal of killing all that appose the Mafia
- Mafioso: Kill whoever the Godfather tells you or kill who you want with no Godfather. You can talk to other mafia at night.
- Godfather(GF): Immune at night. You can kill anyone who you want to die. You can talk to other mafia at night.
- Consigliere: Each night you can learn the exact role of anyone you want. You can talk to other mafia at night. Will become Mafioso if no killing mafia roles are left.
- Consort: You can distract anyone that you want from doing there job at night aka: role blocking. You can talk to other mafia at night. Will become Mafioso if no killing mafia roles are left.
- Janitor: Clean all evidence the dead person left around three times. You can talk to other mafia at night. Will become Mafioso if no killing mafia roles are left.
- Framer: Frame someone each night. If someone tries to see the other persons role when they are framed it will show them as mafia. You can talk to other mafia at night. Will become Mafioso if no killing mafia roles are left.
- Disguiser: You will be able to change into the dead person that died that night to seem that you are them. This will allow you to change your position in peoples minds. You can do it three times. You can talk to other mafia at night. Will become Mafioso if no killing mafia roles are left.
- Blackmailer: Blackmail someone at night, which will leave them incapable of talking. You can talk to other mafia at night. Will become Mafioso if no killing mafia roles are left.
- Forger: This role is new to the game. You will be able to change the wills of anyone. You can do this at night and it is available to do only 3 times. You can talk to other mafia at night. Will become Mafioso if no killing mafia roles are left.
All these roles are available in different game modes. Each game mode has different specialty about it. Every game also has at most 15 players. Game modes include:
- Classic: there are set roles with less randomness.
- Ranked: The roles are also set, but you can only play this after playing 50 games of any other mode. This is for experienced players and good game play.
- Custom: The roles are picked by the host and there does not haft to be 15 players to start.
- Rapid: Everything is the same as Classic, but it is quicker
- All Any: Everything is random.
- Rainbow: This is the newest game mode. Roles are set except for 1. The thing that sets this apart is that there are mostly evil and neutral roles. With there only being a guaranteed 2 or 3 mafia members and 2 or 3 town members, this game mode is exciting.
- Vigillantics: There is only witches and vigs.
Whether you lose or win in any of these modes you will still get coins. With coins you can edit your characters looks, get a new house, death animation, pet, map, or theme pack. You can also go to the character and apply any of these that you got with coins or by default.
Town of Salem also allows you to create parties with friends. When doing this you must not throw the game, talk to friends outside the game about the game, spam, or use profanity. Doing any of these things could get you reported and banned, but most players are pretty lenient.
Town of Salem is a very fun online role playing game that you can play with friends. It has multiple game modes and a huge list of roles. The game is available on Steam or with Blankmedia games. However you play Town of Salem is a fun game you are sure to enjoy.
Once again I recommend using a VPN service to play Town of Salem online. A VPN will give you an IP address from the server location you choose. It will improve performance and reduce lag. Elite gamers will also appreciate the added protection from DDoS attacks.
Enjoy all the action as you play Town of Salem online. Please share this post with your friends so they can enjoy Town of Salem from anywhere in the world with a VPN. Follow us @VPNFan for the latest deals and guides.