Privacy Settings to Control the Data Twitter Tracks
If you have not gone past the review settings screen, you can simply click on the Disable all button or uncheck the boxes and save settings. If you have gone past it, follow these steps. These settings are all enabled by default.
- Find the new section – You can do this by clicking on your profile icon at the top by the tweet button. Now select Settings and privacy.
- Privacy and safety – From the account settings screen, click on this section and go to the personalization and data section and click edit.
- Personalization and Data – Of course you pick and choose these, but we suggest unchecking the six boxes you see. Click on the Save changes button. You will be asked if you are sure, so click yes.
- Your Twitter Data – You can change or delete your interests, age, gender, places you have been, and more.
Here’s a quick rundown of the personalization and data privacy settings:
- Personalize ads – see interest-based ads on and off Twitter.
- Personalize based on your apps – Twitter will view and store the apps on your devices to help show you more relevant content.
- Personalize across all your devices – Twitter will always personalize across the devices you’ve used to log in.
- Personalize based on the places you’ve been – this setting let’s Twitter personalize based on other places you’ve been. Note that Twitter always uses information including your location to show relevant content.
- Track where you see Twitter content across the web – Twitter uses this data to personalize your experience. This web browsing history will never be stored with your name, email, or phone number.
- Share data through select partnerships – this setting let’s Twitter share certain private data (which will never include your name, email, or phone number) through select partnerships.
And there you have it. Though there are some users that will not care about this change, a growing number of us are paying attention. That is evident by the publicity the change has received. Changing these privacy settings will not remove you completely from being tracked, but it will help. If you interested in protecting your privacy further, we suggest using a VPN to encrypt your data when using Wifi networks and unblock geo-restrictions.