Splatoon is one of Nintendo’s newest shooters for the Wii U. You and your friends will have a great time shooting ink. This game is fun for all ages and will get you pumped to be a squid. Most of the game is played online so DDoS attacks, lag, or slow connections can be common. To help fix these problems I would recommend a VPN. A VPN will change your IP address to another IP. Since it is not your IP this will prevent DDoS attacks. If you pick an IP close to the server you play on you may experience less lag and better performance.
|Rank||VPN Service||VPN Fan|
In Splatoon you fight on a map with the inklings. These inklings can be male or female and can turn into squids. They can change colors as well depending on the team they are on. When changing to a squid they can not attack but they replenish ink supply and can swim in their own ink making them faster. You can play in two modes with these inklings. One is single player and is played offline, while the other is online.
Single player / offline modes:
- Hero Mode: This mode can get you some good gear if you complete it. The mode has you trying to save the Great Zapfish. The Octarians have stolen all of the Zapfish that supplies the power needed to power Inkopolis. You, under the influence of Captain Cuttlefish, will have to try to get the Zapfish back. As you go through the levels you will find Sunken Scrolls that will give you the history of this world.
- Battle Dojo: This is a two player offline mode where one person uses the TV and the other uses The Gamepad to play. First to pop 30 balloons wins, unless time runs out in which the person with the highest number of balloons popped wins
- Amiibo: The Splatoon Amiibo will get you more challenges. After defeating all of the levels you can get some good gear.
Online modes (this is where a VPN comes into play):
- Regular: You and your team of three others will try to cover more ground with your ink than the other team does with theirs. This mode is good and can be played by everyone.
- Ranked: Can be played by only players level 10 and up. Your rank will get better and worse depending on how you play and your rate of wins and losses. There are three ways to play.
- Splat Zone: You and your team get 5 minutes to take over a box and defend it from the other team. You have to keep it until your clock reaches zero or else you are penalized. The team with their clock at zero wins. If the timer runs out then the team with the least amount of time left wins.
- Rainmaker: You and your team will get 5 minutes to take a weapon named the rainmaker to a pillar at the enemies base. The team that either does this or gets the closest within the 5 minutes wins.
- Tower Control: You and your team race to the center platform. The platform will move and if it gets to the enemies base then you win. You are on a timer of 5 minutes and like the others when that time is out the team with its platform closest to the enemy’s base wins.
- Squad battles: Are similar to ranked battles except they include you and your friends. You can have up to four players including yourself. You will face other teams with the same number of people.
Online mode lets you change your weapons which have different sub-weapons and specials attacks. There are different options for everyone. The main weapon categories include:
- InkBrush: This is a melee weapon that uses ink fast, but not as quickly as a roller. It does not cover as much ground with ink as the roller, but it is better for splatting people. Not as good for range.
- Roller: This is a melee weapon. It is good at inking things and is for splatting people. It is very poor at range attacks.
- Slosher: The Slosher, AKA the bucket, is good for spreading ink fast, but looses ink fast too. It is a melee and a ranged weapon because it has better range then the roller and inkbrush, but it does not have as good of a range as most of the ranged weapons.
- Charger: It is a sniping weapon. It has a good range attack and is powerful, but it is not good at up close attacks and inking things. The weapon shows where your are shooting by showing lasers and it has to be charged.
- Shooter: There are many different variations that can make these guns better in different situations.
- Splatling: They are very powerful and are like Chargers, but don’t have lasers. These have to be charged up, but they spread a lot more ink than a Charger. They quickly use up a lot of ink so you have to reload frequently.
- Burst Bomb: Explodes as soon as it hits something.
- Disruptor: Slows your opponents down and blocks their abilities to make them worse.
- Ink Mine: It will explode after an opponent steps on the mine.
- Point Sensor: It will find the enemy and display their position to you and your team mates.
- Seeker: It will follow the opponent and when it finds them it will explode. It does not go up walls.
- Splat Bomb: It is your normal bomb.
- Splash Wall: You throw this down to block the opponent with a wall of ink.
- Sprinkler: Sticks to surfaces and then sprays ink in a circle around itself.
- Squid Beacon: Lets you and your team super jump to these once during the game.
- Suction Bomb: These are bombs that stick to walls.
- Bomb Rush: For a Short amount of time you are able to throw unlimited bombs.
- Bubbler: Lets you become invincible for a short amount of time.
- Echolocator: Reveal the enemies position to your team.
- Inkstrike: Tap the GamePad and then the area you attacked will be filled with ink.
- Inkzooka: Like a charger, but a lot more powerful, does not needed charged up for every attack, and shows no laser. You get limited attacks.
- Killer Whale: You get this huge sound blaster and splat enemies in range.
- Kraken: You turn into a giant squid temporarily and are invincible as you spread ink quickly and splat enemies.
Online mode will help you earn points to buy shirts, shoes, and hats that will get you new abilities and more slots for abilities. You get coins from the online modes. You can also get them from Judd the Cat who will give you helpful advice and coins based of how many games you won in a row.
The biggest event in Splatoon is called Splatfest, In Splatfest you will pledge your elegance to one team or the other. Teams can be like Cats vs Dogs, Marshmallows vs Hot Dogs, or even Ninjas vs Pirates. The event and teams are based of where you live. You go up in ranking for these teams by battling. Your rank can get you more coins and being part of the winning team will get you even more coins.
Overall Splatoon is a fun game. You can battle with your friends online or play alone. The game is available for Wii U. I am sure that you and your friends will love this Nintendo shooter.
Once again I recommend using a VPN service to play Splatoon online. A VPN will give you an IP address from the server location you choose. It will improve performance and reduce lag. Elite gamers will also appreciate the added protection from DDoS attacks.
How to Use a VPN to Play For Honor (Xbox One and PS4)
Once again I’ll use ExpressVPN for the example of how to use a VPN service to play For Honor on your game console. They are my favorite VPN for gaming because ExpressVPN manages a very large network which makes the service a great choice for gamers.
The first step to getting set up with ExpressVPN is normally to download the client software for your system. ExpressVPN offers free client software for Windows, Mac and Linux. In addition to free apps for iOS and Android. Obviously that won’t work for PS4, Xbox One, or Nintendo since the game consoles lack the native support for VPN. Luckily, there is still a way to encrypt your gaming traffic and send it through a VPN. The answer is running the VPN through your router. Note: if you don’t need encryption you can use the ExpressVPN MediaStramer (Smart DNS) feature without the need to configure your router. It supports a wide range of gaming consoles.
Depending on what brand and model of router you use, it might support third party VPN services. If so you can get the necessary information from your VPN provider to set up a connection through your router. Otherwise I highly recommend FlashRouters. The FlashRouters team takes popular, brand name routers and flashes them with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware. That allows the devices to have far more features than they would with the factory firmware installed. All FlashRouters come pre-configured with support for VPN.
It is just that easy to do. Now that you have an IP address from an ExpressVPN server in the US, you can game, browse the Internet or watch shows as if you were actually there. Connecting to a server in the UK would give you full access to geo blocked sites there as well. The same is true from any country.
As you can probably tell by now a good VPN opens access to content around the world. If you live outside the United States the service can help you access popular services like Netflix, Hulu and Pandora. You still need an account for services like Netflix but the VPN will help you watch US television shows and movies on Netflix as if you were sitting in the United States or any other region you would like to access.
Improve Game Speed and Block DDoS Attacks
If you are having problems with lag and DDoS attacks these recommendations should help:
Ways of fixing issues with lag on Wii U:
- Check your speed at speedtest.net. If your speed is fast on a laptop or tablet, but the Wii U is having issues with lag then your wifi connection may be slowing it down. In this case I recommend you connect the Wii U to your router with a network cable or move the console closer to the router to test the connection.
- If you try these options and the Wii U is still not performing well I would recommend a VPN. Once again a VPN can provide you with a better path to the gaming server which can help reduce lag.
- If you think it is your router having problems then I would recommend you reset it. This can take care of a lot of networking issues. If your router continues to have issues then you might consider a custom DD-WRT or Tomato based device. The custom firmware is well suited for high performance and supports VPN.
How to avoid DDos attacks:
- The best way to avoid DDos attacks is to use a VPN. Once again we recommend ExpressVPN. They run on top of the same game delivery network as Steam and other popular online gaming platforms.
- A VPN will help you avoid DDos attacks by changing your IP address. You can connect to a server in your home country or another region of the world. Doing so will change your IP address which will protect you from DDos attacks since the attacker won’t know what IP address you will be using each time you connect.
Enjoy all the action as you play Splatoon online. Please share this post with your friends so they can enjoy playing from anywhere in the world with a VPN. Follow us @VPNFan for the latest deals and guides.