Monster Hunter World (MHW) is the new title in the franchise. It is a high combat exploration style game. MHW is very technical and pretty hard as you level. The game released worldwide on January 26th and has an online mode. You can get on a server with up to 16 people and complete a hunting quest with four of them. These fights are hard and you will need to have good teamwork in order to win. With the game having so much online oriented gameplay there is bound to be lag and slow connections. To fix these problems I would recommend using a VPN.
|Rank||VPN Service||Visit Site||Benefits||Price|
A VPN will allow you to change your IP address to another IP by selection a sever in the available locations. If you pick a location close to the server you play on then you should have improved performance and less lag. Since it is not your IP address you can get over any geographic restrictions or limits on your work or school firewall in order to play online. Elite players will also like the added protection from DDoS attacks a VPN provides.
Monster Hunter World is combat oriented. As a result there are a lot of monsters to hunt, weapons to use, buffing abilities, and armor sets. You will begin the game with a pretty generic character, but as you play you will hunt monsters to gain there hides, scales, teeth, and other materials. In order to kill these monsters you have to study them. They all have their own feel. Each monster is different and as a result there are many strategies to defeat them. Along with this each monster has weak points that will be shown to you as you fight. If your damage number you put out is ever orange then you will know you found the monsters weak point. Because the monsters are different it is encouraged for a player to sneak up on them and observe so you can attack them at their weakest.
If you ever loose track of the monster you are fighting you can mark it on your map and the scoutflies will help you track them down. If you are still having a hard time you might want to call on Palicoes, which are support characters. You could also use a slinger to try and get to an elevated position. Also use the items you gather in order to create health potions and buffs that can help. If you’re still in way over your head you can call upon players to help you using the SOS flare. You might also have concerns with loot split up, but have no fear in Monster Hunter World everyone gets there own loot.
The Smithy will help you defeat monsters. This is because you can craft weapons and armor using the spoils you earn. These will help you beat more monsters throughout the game. There is a variety of weapons and armor with many play styles. There are certain types of weapons to use in the game.
Types of Weapons:
- Sword and shield: This is an all around weapon class that has a good defense and attack outputs. It has a unique ability to allow you to use items while your shield is out.
- Dual Blades: They are a high mobility weapon with low powered attacks. You can go to Demon Mode after enough of these attacks have been landed. This move will allow you to unleash a high damage assault on the monster.
- Long Sword: It is a high attack output with low defense. It has long range with lots of combos.
- Light Bowgun: It is a high mobility weapon that can use a lot of ammo types, but it isn’t as powerful.
- Heavy Bowgun: It is a low mobility, long ranged weapon. It can be equipped to support the team or to be a damage outputting weapon.
- Lance: It is a high defense weapon with low mobility. With this weapon you can tank a lot of damage, while still dishing out some decent damage as well.
- Hammer: It is a high damage weapon that has very low reach. It is good at knocking out a monster by hitting it over the head.
- Gunlance: It is a low mobility weapon that has more damage then the lance, but It has less defensive skills.
- Great Sword: It has huge damage output, but it is also extremely slow. It is very technical and timing is important.
- Switch Axe: it is a transforming weapon with high damage output. You don’t have as high mobility in sword mode, but in axe mode movement is good.
- Hunting Horn: it is a support weapon that can help your team by playing songs that buff them.
- Charge blade: It is a high damage weapon that is very technical. It has two modes including axe and sword & shield.
- Bow: it is a high mobility weapon that keeps you at a medium range. It also has low defense. There are a lot of arrow types that allow different status affects.
- The Insect Glaive: It is a spear type weapon that places you in the air constantly. You can unleash your insect to gain buffs from the monster you’re fighting. Along with this you are very likely to be mounted on the monster during a fight.
The environments in Monster Hunter World are very diverse. Each has its own monsters and its own look. There are four main areas and a fifth monster boss area. The areas and their monsters follow.
Ancient Forest: This area is a huge forest that is almost untouched.
- Great Jagars
- Pukei-Pukei Tobi-Kadachi
Wildspier Waste: This area is a desert/savanna area.
Coral Highlands: It is a highland area with an ocean type feel. It looks as if the ocean has become the land.
Rotten Vale: It is a valley of death where a lot of old corpses lie.
- Great Girros
- Vaal Hazzak
????: This area is home to two extremely powerful dragons.
- Teostra: It is the elder dragon of flames.
- Kushala Daora: It is the elder dragon of wind.
How to Use a VPN to Play Monster Hunter World
I’ll use ExpressVPN for the example of how to use a VPN service for Monster Hunter World. First you’ll want to download the VPN client. ExpressVPN offers free client software for Windows, Mac and Linux. In addition to free apps for iOS and Android.
Now that you’ve had a chance to download and install the software it’s time to connect. Launch the ExpressVPN client and select a server location. We’ll walk you through step by step using their Windows client.
- Since a lot of gamers like to connect to servers in the US, we used that country for our guide. ExpressVPN has a large network of servers located all over the world.
- We recommend you select OpenVPN (TCP) or (UDP). For streaming videos from sites like YouTube, we use OpenVPN (UDP) because its faster than TCP. They also support PPTP, L2TP, and SSTP. We still recommend OpenVPN UDP for the best mix of speed and privacy protection.
- Click the big round connect button. After a few seconds, you’ll see the shield around the button turn green. There will also be a message letting you know the “VPN is ON”
- You now have an IP address in the USA, as far as anyone can tell online. As such, you can reach any site as if you were sitting there. The same would be true if you connected to a server in the UK or anywhere else in the world.
It is just that easy to do. Now that you have an IP address from an ExpressVPN server in the US, you can game, browse the Internet or watch shows as if you were actually there. Connecting to a server in the UK would give you full access to geo blocked sites there as well. The same is true from any country.
As you can probably tell by now a good VPN opens access to content around the world. If you live outside the United States the service can help you access popular services like Netflix, Hulu and Pandora. You still need an account for services like Netflix but the VPN will help you watch US television shows and movies on Netflix as if you were sitting in the United States or any other region you would like to access.
How to Use a VPN to Play Monster Hunter World (Xbox One and PS4)
Once again I’ll use ExpressVPN for the example of how to play Monster Hunter World online. They are my favorite VPN for gaming because ExpressVPN manages a very large network which makes the service a great choice for gamers. You can also view our Top 10 VPN list for more options.
The first step to getting set up with ExpressVPN is normally to download the client software for your system. ExpressVPN offers free client software for Windows, Mac and Linux. In addition to free apps for iOS and Android. Obviously that won’t work for PS4, Xbox One, or Nintendo since the game consoles lack the native support for VPN. Luckily, there is still a way to encrypt your gaming traffic and send it through a VPN. The answer is running the VPN through your router. Note: if you don’t need encryption you can use the ExpressVPN MediaStramer (Smart DNS) feature without the need to configure your router. It supports a wide range of gaming consoles.
Depending on what brand and model of router you use, it might support third party VPN services. If so you can get the necessary information from your VPN provider to set up a connection through your router. Otherwise I highly recommend FlashRouters. The FlashRouters team takes popular, brand name routers and flashes them with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware. That allows the devices to have far more features than they would with the factory firmware installed. All FlashRouters come pre-configured with support for VPN.
Monster Hunter is full of content and the developers are coming up with even more areas and monsters. The game is very technical, but fun to play. It has diverse ways to play and no one way is necessarily better than another. It is available on PS4, Xbox One, and PC. Monster Hunter World is a game I’m sure you and your friends will enjoy playing together.