When Nintendo released Donkey Kong in 1981, it introduced our favorite plumber, Mario, to the world. Since that time, Nintendo has done many things with this lovable character. That includes countless games, spin-off game series, cartoons, movies, and even live-action TV shows at one time. Their most recent incarnation is Mario Strikers: Battle League, part of the Mario Strikers series. With a release date of June 10, 2022, this one is bound to be a hit. Battle League is a football (soccer for Americans) game using characters from the Mario Strikers series. With a single-player and a multiplayer mode, there are times when using a VPN is a good idea for this game. We’ll look at that below.
Football is prevalent around the world, and it is trendy in video games. Titles like Rocket League and others have a vast following worldwide. This game stays away from realism. Instead, it goes for over-the-top chaos, much the same way that other Mario games do. You can place banana peels on the field so others will slip on them and much more! The matches have a five-on-five structure, and it offers three modes. These modes are:
- Single-player mode – This mode lets you choose a franchise player. The computer always controls the goalie, so you can’t choose the character for the goalies. However, you’ll be able to choose three more characters to round out the team.
- Local multiplayer mode – You can play up to eight people locally, with each player using a single Joy-Con for each person. If you have seven friends, you can play a 4v4 match with the computer handling the goalie on both sides.
- Club Mode – Club mode is an online multiplayer mode where groups of up to 20 players can create their game season, with leaderboards tracking scores.
The characters you can choose for the game are Bowser, Donkey Kong, Luigi, Mario, Peach, Rosalina, Toad, Waluigi, Wario, and Yoshi.
How to Connect to a Mario Strikers: Battle League Server through a VPN
As we mentioned, Battle League is crazy and over the top. However, that usually means that Nintendo does an excellent job of making their games fun. If you’re going to play this game in Club Mode, you can protect yourself. All you have to do is follow these rules. We’ll discuss the Windows version of ExpressVPN. We are also going to use our top VPN option ExpressVPN. Other apps ExpressVPN offers include Mac, Linux, Windows, iOS, and Android. Of course, you can set up a VPN for your Nintendo, and ExpressVPN has setup guides. If you have specific questions about setup, their 24/7 support team is always glad to help you out. Here is the step-by-step process to set up a VPN when using their Windows client.
After you’ve had a chance to download and install the software, go ahead and connect. Launch the ExpressVPN client and select a server location. Here is the step-by-step process when using their Windows client.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (this includes a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee)
- Download and install the ExpressVPN app on your device.
- Since the early access servers are in the US, we used the country for our guide. New York City and Los Angeles are a couple of good server options.
- Once you open it up, we suggest you let the client select your protocol. Typically, it is set to auto (Lightway) by default. If you want to test out different protocols, we suggest trying Lightway (UDP) or IKEv2 for the best performance.
- Click the big round connect button. After a few seconds, you’ll see the circle around the button turn green. There will also be a message letting you know the VPN is “Connected.”
- You now have an IP address in the USA. Then, you should be able to keep yourself safe while playing with others. You can also get better speeds if you are having speed issues, or even connect to a less popular area if you are trying to escape some competition.
VPNs can help you find less busy areas. Since this game has an international draw, finding a less busy area has its advantages. Sure, you can always just play a single-player game. However, if you want to play in Club Mode because of the leader board, a VPN could help you find an easier path. If you’re going to play a competitive and fun game, you can use a VPN to increase or decrease the competition level. That could make a real difference if one data center is more active than others or if you want to play with a specific group.
You can play on the US servers or access popular services if you are not in the US. These include services like Netflix, Hulu, and Pandora. You’ll still need an account for services like Netflix, but the VPN will help you watch US television shows and movies on Netflix on your favorite console or comp, just as if you were sitting in the United States or other countries.
Mario Strikers: Battle League Game Highlights
Let’s look at what you can expect to find in Mario Strikers: Battle League.
- New Mechanics and special armor – This long-awaited game has some great mechanics and unique armor. It will have customization options, allowing you to mix and match your gear to alter playable characters’ stats.
- Add more characters with DLC – As is typical with games, you can add more characters with downloadable content. It is fun, and you can find additional characters, but it is another way to make money for Nintendo.
- Return to the popular series – After more than ten years, you’ll love the revival of this Mario Strikers series. Now, you’ll get to see it in all of the brilliance the game deserves.
If you are a veteran of this series, or you’re going to try it out for the first time, you’ll love this over-the-top and crazy game. As you can see, it has some great points. You can also easily see all the potential for fun and downloadable content.