Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a fun game for the Nintendo Switch. The game is made for everyone. You can play with your family or even play it competitively. The online mode is enjoyable for both competitive game play and competing with friends. When playing the online mode you may experience lag and slow connections. To fix these problems I would recommend a VPN. A VPN will allow you to change your IP address to another IP at the server of your choosing. If you select a server close to the one you play on then you will have less lag and faster connections. More competitive gamers will enjoy the extra protection from DDoS attacks that a VPN provides.
How to Use a VPN to Play Mario Kart on Nintendo Switch
I’ll use ExpressVPN for the example of how to use a VPN service to play Mario Kart on your game console. They are my favorite VPN for gaming because ExpressVPN manages a very large network which makes the service a great choice for gamers.
The first step to getting set up with ExpressVPN is normally to download the client software for your system. ExpressVPN offers free client software for Windows, Mac and Linux. In addition to free apps for iOS and Android. Obviously that won’t work for PlayStation, Xbox, or Nintendo consoles since they lack the native support for VPN. Luckily, there is still a way to encrypt your gaming traffic and send it through a VPN. The answer is running the VPN through your router. Note: if you don’t need encryption you can use the ExpressVPN MediaStramer (Smart DNS) feature without the need to configure your router. It supports a wide range of gaming consoles.
Depending on what brand and model of router you use, it might support third party VPN services. If so you can get the necessary information from your VPN provider to set up a connection through your router. In general, routers with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware support more features than they would with the factory firmware installed. ExpressVPN customers can use their router app to simplify the process. The ExpressVPN router app offers support for a number of Asus, Linksys, and Netgear routers. They also have manual set up guides for DD-WRT, Tomato, D-Link, and TP-Link devices.
Improve Game Speed and Block DDoS Attacks
If you are having problems with lag and DDoS attacks these recommendations should help:
Ways of fixing issues with lag on Nintendo Switch:
- Check your speed at speedtest.net. If your speed is fast on a laptop or tablet, but the Switch is having issues with lag then your wifi connection may be slowing it down. In this case I recommend you connect the Switch to your router with a network cable or move the console closer to the router to test the connection. Note: to connect the console directly to your router you will need a LAN adapter.
- If you try these options and the Nintendo Switch is still not performing well I would recommend a VPN. Once again a VPN can provide you with a better path to the gaming server which can help reduce lag.
- If you think it is your router having problems then I would recommend you reset it. This can take care of a lot of networking issues. If your router continues to have issues then you might consider a custom DD-WRT or Tomato based device. The custom firmware is well suited for high performance and supports VPN.
How to avoid DDos attacks:
- The best way to avoid DDos attacks is to use a VPN. Once again we recommend ExpressVPN. They run on top of the same game delivery network as Steam and other popular online gaming platforms.
- A VPN will help you avoid DDos attacks by changing your IP address. You can connect to a server in your home country or another region of the world. Doing so will change your IP address which will protect you from DDos attacks since the attacker won’t know what IP address you will be using each time you connect.
Mario Kart Game Highlights
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is very fun and actually has strategy behind it. For example when building your vehicle you will want to consider five different categories. These are affected by your tires, body, glider, and the weight of your character. These categories include:
- Speed: This is how fast your vehicle can go. The light weight characters are the slowest, the medium weight characters are average, and the heavy weight characters go the fastest.
- Acceleration: This is how long it takes for your vehicle to get to top speed. Most often the light weight characters have the fastest acceleration.
- Weight: The more weight you have the less you will be able to glide. Also the weight can affect your acceleration.
- Handling: This is how hard it is to steer the vehicle. Light weight characters are easier to handle, but are slower, while heavier characters are harder to handle, but faster.
- Traction: This is how well your vehicle can drive off road and how well you can drift. Tires are the main part that determines this, but body also has an impact.
While playing the game you will be able to use items to help you win. You can hold up to two of these items at a time. The items include:
A banana, three bananas, green shell, three green shells, red shell, three red shells, blue shell, bob-omb, mushroom, three mushrooms, golden mushroom, blooper, bullet bill, lightning, fire flower, star, piranha plant, boomerang flower, super horn, crazy eight, coin, boo, and feather.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Online Game Modes
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe’s online mode is split up into regional, worldwide, and friends. Choosing regional online game play lets you play on a server with people of your country and other countries close by. Choosing worldwide allows you to play with people from throughout the world. In friends you can join your friends when space opens. The game has two different game types. These types include:
- Race: You will vote on what stage you race on, but besides that this is basically the Grand Prix mode online.
- Battle: This mode got revamped in this game and got split up into other smaller games.
- Balloon Battle: In this game mode you will try to pop the most balloons with items. If you get all your balloons popped then your points will be cut in half and you will restart with three balloons, which is two less then you start with.
- Bob-omb Blast: It is the same as balloon battle, but the only item you are able to use is bob-ombs. You are able to hold up to ten at a time.
- Coin Runners: This game mode has you collect coins and use items to make people drop theirs. The person with the most amount of coins at the end of the game wins.
- Renegade Roundup: This is basically cops and robbers. The cops or authority must catch all the robbers or renegades with piranha plants to win the game. Meanwhile the renegades must run away from the authority and free others. The team that wins gets points. Renegades get points by freeing others, while the authority gets points by capturing renegades.
- Shine Thief: This game mode has the player trying to get the shine and hold it for 20 seconds. You loose it if you get hit, but your timer will not be reset. This mode is probably one of the hardest because of how many items are thrown at the person with the shine and how much crossfire there is.
While you are playing you will get coins. You can average about ten coins each race and you can get even more if you are good at Coin Runners. These coins will unlock new karts and parts that will allow you to upgrade your ride.
The reason Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is considered deluxe is because it has all the DLC from Mario Kart 8 included. It also has new and improved online game play. There is also new characters, karts, and items.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is for the Nintendo Switch. This game can be played with friends and it is very fun. The game has a bigger online mode. Because there is a worldwide option your skills can be put to the test as you represent your country in global races and battles. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a game I am sure you and your friends will love to play.
Once again I recommend using a VPN service to play Mario Kart for the Nintendo Switch online. A VPN will give you an IP address from the server location you choose. It will improve performance and reduce lag. Elite gamers will also appreciate the added protection from DDoS attacks.
Enjoy all the action as you play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe online. Please share this post with your friends so they can enjoy playing from anywhere in the world with a VPN. Follow us @VPNFan for the latest deals and guides.