League of Legends is one of the most popular MOBA, multiplayer online battle arena, games. LoL was made in 2009 and since then it has grown to be the powerhouse of a game it is today. It is one of the most popular gaming events in Esports. The game has become popular because of the strategy involved. It is built to where many different skill levels can play online. The game teaches you how to play and allows you to hone your skills online with a team to rise to the top. The game is global and that carries with it some problems with lag and slow connections. To help this problem I would recommend a good VPN.
|Rank||VPN Service||VPN Fan|
How to Use a VPN to Play League of Legends
I’ll use ExpressVPN for the example of how to use a VPN service to play LoL online. First you’ll want to download the VPN client. ExpressVPN offers free client software for Windows, Mac and Linux. In addition to free apps for iOS and Android.
Now that you’ve had a chance to download and install the software it’s time to connect. Launch the ExpressVPN client and select a server location. We’ll walk you through step by step using their Windows client.
- Since a lot of gamers like to connect to servers in the US, we used that country for our guide. ExpressVPN has a large network of servers located all over the world.
- We recommend you select OpenVPN (TCP) or (UDP). For streaming videos from sites like YouTube, we use OpenVPN (UDP) because its faster than TCP. They also support PPTP, L2TP, and SSTP. We still recommend OpenVPN UDP for the best mix of speed and privacy protection.
- Click the big round connect button. After a few seconds, you’ll see the shield around the button turn green. There will also be a message letting you know the “VPN is ON”
- You now have an IP address in the USA, as far as anyone can tell online. As such, you can reach any site as if you were sitting there. The same would be true if you connected to a server in the UK or anywhere else in the world.
It is just that easy to do. Now that you have an IP address from an ExpressVPN server in the US, you can game, browse the Internet or watch shows as if you were actually there. Connecting to a server in the UK would give you full access to geo blocked sites there as well. The same is true from any country.
As you can probably tell by now a good VPN opens access to content around the world. If you live outside the United States the service can help you access popular services like Netflix, Hulu and Pandora. You still need an account for services like Netflix but the VPN will help you watch US television shows and movies on Netflix as if you were sitting in the United States or any other region you would like to access.
League of Legends Game Highlights
A VPN will allow you to change your IP address to an IP in a location of your choosing. If you pick a location close to the server you play on then you can reduce lag and speed up gameplay. Since the data is encrypted it will help you get around firewall restrictions at work or school. Pro players will enjoy the extra protection a VPN provides againt DDoS attacks.
League of Legends is a game in which you are a Summoner. You summon a champion to play as to help your team. Only one person can play a champion at a time on your team. There are over 150 Champions. Each has their own skins and are worth different amounts of in-game currency. You can get each character for free by playing more and unlocking them. You can try them out in the free player rotation.
Champions will have different stats to help them out. They also have special abilities and/or Magic that can be used to help the team and hurt the enemy. These range from a healing magic ability to a mighty slash of physical ability. Each champion specializes in either magic or physical attacks with only a few having a mix of both. This along with the other stats behind a champion is what puts them into one of six game categories.
League of Legends Champions:
- Tanks: These mighty champions are strong in defense and typically slow. They can take a lot of damage before falling. These champions are great at leading charges and defending points, but can be overwhelmed by ranged and speedy characters.
- Fighters: These characters are more balanced. They have an even attack and defense. They are faster than tanks, but not as defensive. Fighters are great at close range as they can use there skills for both offense and defense to topple foes.
- Mages: These characters are great at producing damage. They have great attack stats, but low defense. Mages also use mana for everything so you will want to watch out and conserve it when necessary. They are great at staying at a distance and taking out opponents.
- Assassins: These characters are all about mobility and attack. These champions are the fastest and most deadly. Their main downfall is that they are quite squishy. They can be taken out pretty quickly by tanks if they are not careful. At the same time they can take down tanks very quickly.
- Marksman: They are ranged fighters who are fragile. They can’t take a hit that well, but they can defiantly deal damage. They are very high in damage output. These champions are best behind their team and firing at the opponents.
- Supports: These are champions that buff the rest of the team. They might not be the best fighters, but they are great for helping the team. The team overall can improve through the commitment of a support character. They can change a game by giving their team strength, health, magic, and more.
Along with these champions you will get minions that are like minor characters that you will place in lanes to help you defeat and defend. You are defending structures called turrets and the Nexus. Turrets defend you and your enemies bases by firing at them. These structures must be destroyed to go past that section of the map. The Nexus is the final point that must be destroyed. Maps are the arenas of League of Legends.There are also relics on these maps. Relics will give you health, increase your stats, decrease enemy stats, and other things.
League of Legends Maps:
- Crystal Scar: This mining area is caught up in war. You and your 4 allies will be on a circular map to defeat your enemies Nexus with a starting health of 500. To do this you will need to take control of one point and once in control the opponents Nexus will loose health.
- Howling Abyss: This is the coldest area that has one single narrow bridge in which an epic war was fought. On this one bridge you will try to fight off your enemies from defeating your turrets and your Nexus.
- Summons Rift: This is a remote forest. This is the oldest, most used, and biggest regular map. You and allies will run through a maze to get to the enemies turrets and Nexus to destroy them and win.
- Twisted Treeline: This is a dark forest. This is where you will go one of two directions to the enemies Turrets and Nexus to destroy them. Also while there remember to protect your base because this smaller map puts you in both an offensive and defensive position.
- Magma Chamber: This mountain is filled with lava. How you win is by killing 100 enemy minions, destroying turrets, or getting first bloods in 1v1/2v2. This is only open in tournaments even though it is the biggest map.
- Butcher’s Bridge: This bridge oversees slaughter-docks. It use to be a great bridge leading to a temple, but now it is used to fight on. It is a singular bridge that teams duke it out on.
There are many ways to play. You can purchase items to help you win. Items can be exchanged for gold. You earn gold by defeating monsters in the jungle, other champions, minions. and turrets. Items will give you buffs to help your character throughout the match. Early on you will want to farm for gold and try to find a set of items that will help you win. The way you play will affect which items you get. There are five main roles people play in League of Legends.
League of Legends Roles:
- ADC: This stands for attack damage carry. They are the characters that are great at killing. They have high damage output, but typically can’t take a hit. A marksman champion usually fills this role.
- Support: They are responsible for protecting and helping the ADC, which is normally in the top or bottom lane. They are great at throwing the opponent off balance and helping the ADC take advantage of it.
- Jungler: These characters are responsible for gaining XP and buffs from monsters in the jungle. They should level much quicker and become powerful in the late game. Along with that they should get a number of bonuses for the team.
- Tank: They play the role of a shield. They are great at blocking opponents from moving past. Along with this they can take ADC’s down because they can last through attacks. They might not be high in damage output, but their defense allows for them to survive long enough to take the ADC out.
- APC: This stands for ability power carry. They fight more on their own. APC’s are very powerful and don’t need the support an ADC does. They use their abilities to damage foes. They are normally in the middle lane, but their abilities give them the chance to be in others.
LoL is a popular MOBA that has 150+ champions to play as. There are many strategies you can use. You and your friends can battle on maps together as a team. League of Legends is a fun game that I am sure you are going to like.
Once again I recommend using a VPN service to play League of Legends online. A VPN will give you an IP address from the server location you choose. It will improve performance and reduce lag. Elite gamers will also appreciate the added protection from DDoS attacks.
Enjoy all the action as you play League of Legends online. Please share this post with your friends so they can enjoy LoL from anywhere in the world with a VPN. Follow us @VPNFan for the latest deals and guides.