For Honor is a multiplayer game. This game puts some of the most fierce fighters in history against each-other. Knights, samurais, and vikings are put to the test to see who will be victorious and gain more honor. For Honor has online game-play so it is bound to have lag and slow connectivity. A VPN could help you with these problems. A VPN allows you to change your IP address to another IP in a server location of your choosing. If you pick a server location close to the game server you play on then you should have less lag and faster connectivity. Elite gamers will enjoy the added protection from DDoS attacks a VPN provides.
How to Use a VPN to Play For Honor (PC)
I’ll use ExpressVPN for the example of how to use a VPN service to play For Honor online. First you’ll want to download the VPN client. ExpressVPN offers free client software for Windows, Mac and Linux. In addition to free apps for iOS and Android.
Now that you’ve had a chance to download and install the software it’s time to connect. Launch the ExpressVPN client and select a server location. We’ll walk you through step by step using their Windows client.
- Since a lot of gamers like to connect to servers in the US, we used that country for our guide. ExpressVPN has a large network of servers located all over the world.
- We recommend you select OpenVPN (TCP) or (UDP). For streaming videos from sites like YouTube, we use OpenVPN (UDP) because its faster than TCP. They also support PPTP, L2TP, and SSTP. We still recommend OpenVPN UDP for the best mix of speed and privacy protection.
- Click the big round connect button. After a few seconds, you’ll see the shield around the button turn green. There will also be a message letting you know the “VPN is ON”
- You now have an IP address in the USA, as far as anyone can tell online. As such, you can reach any site as if you were sitting there. The same would be true if you connected to a server in the UK or anywhere else in the world.
It is just that easy to do. Now that you have an IP address from an ExpressVPN server in the US, you can game, browse the Internet or watch shows as if you were actually there. Connecting to a server in the UK would give you full access to geo blocked sites there as well. The same is true from any country.
As you can probably tell by now a good VPN opens access to content around the world. If you live outside the United States the service can help you access popular services like Netflix, Hulu and Pandora. You still need an account for services like Netflix but the VPN will help you watch US television shows and movies on Netflix as if you were sitting in the United States or any other region you would like to access.
How to Use a VPN to Play For Honor (Xbox One and PS4)
Once again I’ll use ExpressVPN for the example of how to use a VPN service to play For Honor on your game console. They are my favorite VPN for gaming because ExpressVPN manages a very large network which makes the service a great choice for gamers.
The first step to getting set up with ExpressVPN is normally to download the client software for your system. ExpressVPN offers free client software for Windows, Mac and Linux. In addition to free apps for iOS and Android. Obviously that won’t work for PS4, Xbox One, or Nintendo since the game consoles lack the native support for VPN. Luckily, there is still a way to encrypt your gaming traffic and send it through a VPN. The answer is running the VPN through your router. Note: if you don’t need encryption you can use the ExpressVPN MediaStramer (Smart DNS) feature without the need to configure your router. It supports a wide range of gaming consoles.
Depending on what brand and model of router you use, it might support third party VPN services. If so you can get the necessary information from your VPN provider to set up a connection through your router. Otherwise I highly recommend FlashRouters. The FlashRouters team takes popular, brand name routers and flashes them with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware. That allows the devices to have far more features than they would with the factory firmware installed. All FlashRouters come pre-configured with support for VPN.
For Honor Game Highlights
For Honor is an extensive game with a lot of modes, hero customization, and maps. The game play is well used in the modes. The game-play is mostly online, but there is also a single-player offline campaign. The game modes include:
- Story Mode: In story mode you will play as one of the factions. This mode is offline and can be played alone of with one other player.
- The Orochi: In this game mode you will play as an assassin in the samurai faction.
- The Raider: In this game mode you will play as a raider trying to reunite the viking faction.
- The Warden: In this game mode you will playing as an upcoming knight.
- Multiplayer online
- Brawl: You will face off as a team of two vs another team of two battle in a best out of five match.
- Dominion: In this mode you will play in a 4v4 match. You will have to break the other teams morale by capturing areas and killing them. Once you have 1000 points the enemy team will not be able to re-spawn unless they kill one of you or they regain an area. If you kill their whole team at that point you will win.
- Duel: You face another player one on one in a best out of five match.
- Elimination: You will face off as a team of two vs another team of two battle in a best out of five match.
- Skirmish: This is a bigger dominion game. The main difference is that killing other players is the only way to score points.
For Honor has three main factions. These factions are the main alliances the heroes fall under. The factions use to not fight and were strong, but ever since a huge catastrophe each faction almost got wiped out. Now they have been fighting for millenniums to build up there old lands, but the fighting between the factions is intense. They also have their own maps based off of them. Each hero is different because of the faction their fighting style is based off of. Factions and heroes include:
- The Knights: This faction is home to Ashfeld. Knights of Ashfeld protect there lands from the other factions as they build it back up. The samurai and vikings both attack Ashfeld for the honor of their ancestors. The war hasn’t stopped. The maps they own are Citadel Gate and Cathedral.
- The Conquers: These knights are heavily armored. The weapon they use is a Footman’s Flail. He also has a a shield. Overall this hero is built for more of a defensive role.
- The Lawbringer: These knights are very good at stunning and countering enemies. They use a poleaxe. Counterattacking is what you will want to do as you play as this hero.
- The Peacekeepers: These knights are very quick and deadly. They use a sword and dagger. this keeps their fighting at close range. With this character you will want to get in, quickly counter attack, and then get out.
- The Wardens: These knights use a longsword. The extra range of the longsword and its both defensive and offensive capabilities makes this knight an all around good hero.
- The Samurai: This faction has been moving for ages. Ever since there original homelands was taken by the sea they have taken to their home millenniums ago. It is close to viking’s and knight’s homelands. They are still at war for their new homeland. The maps they own are Overwatch and Forest.
- The Kensei: These samurai use a nodachi. This makes them good at defense and a longer range for attacks. Overall this hero is good at both defense and offense.
- The Nobushi: These samurai use a naginata. They are great at long range because they have the longest range. They are useful for helping out the team.
- The Orochi: These samurai use a katana. They are quick and good at counterattacks, but this is at the price of defensiveness. it is harder to defend. As this character you will want to get in quickly to counterattack and then get out.
- The Shugoki: These samurais are big hitters. They are slow, but very powerful. They use a kanabo. Overall this character is best played as a tank because they deal a lot of damage, while still taking some of it.
- The Vikings: This faction left there homelands a long time ago. They left their lands after they were crushed by the catastrophe. Centuries ago they came back to reclaim their lands. They have most of it, but the Knights have claimed some of their old land. It also dose not help that the many clans inside the viking faction have civil wars. The maps they own are River Fort and Canyon.
- The Berserkers: These vikings use two viking hand axes. This gives them a short range, but they make it up with their fast attacks. This character is good at staying in battle and getting off a lot of attacks.
- The Raiders: These vikings use a long axe. This gives them a long range and a big damage output. Overall these heroes are good for interrupting an opponent because of their long range.
- The Valkyrie: These vikings use a spear and shield. This hero keeps there opponents on their tows. This because they can fight in both long and close ranges. They use the shield for hitting an opponent at close range and the spear is used for a longer range.
- The Warlords: They use a gladius and shield. These vikings use strong attacks and effective counters. They might be slow, but they make up for it in damage dealing, defense, and counter attacks.
As you play as these heroes you will find what works better for you. Each hero has been built to support a different type of player. Each hero also has their own weaknesses you will have to learn how to work around. Once you have picked your favorite hero you will love the customization you can add to the hero. For example the appearance of different sections of armor and gender are currently customizable features.
For Honor is a online multiplayer game that has you fighting for honor. The game pits knights, vikings, and samurais against one another. These factions have heroes underneath them and each hero has special abilities and a lot customization features. The game modes you can play are diverse and great for the fighting style game that For Honor is. Overall I think For Honor is going to be a great game that you and your friends will enjoy playing.
Once again I recommend using a VPN service to play For Honor. A VPN will give you an IP address from the server location you choose. It will also improve performance by improving your ping and protect you from DDoS attacks. It will also help you get past geographical restrictions and the firewalls at school or work.
Enjoy all the excitement as you play For Honor 2 online. Please share this post with your friends so they can enjoy gaming from anywhere in the world with a VPN. Follow us @VPNFan for the latest deals and guides.