The FIVB World Cup is a series of volleyball matches for both men and women. This year, the 2015 World Cup will again be held in Japan. The Women’s World Cup goes from Aug 22 – Sept 6 and the Men’s World Cup goes from Sept 8 – Sept 23. These matches are considered to be qualifiers for the Olympic games, and have been held every four years, and always the year before the Olympic games. Can the defending champion, Italy in the Women’s cup and Russia in the Men’s cup hold on to their titles? Tune in to watch with a VPN.
Best VPN to Stream the FIVB World Cup
|Rank||VPN Service||VPN Fan|
Since, 1977, Japan has been the host country for the Men’s and Women’s FIVB World Cup. Here is a list of the Venues the matches will be played in.
- Tokyo A+B
The Americans are favored to win both cups this year, assuring themselves a definite spot in the 2016 Olympics. Of course, the defending champions may have something to say about that. Here is a schedule for the matches. Interestingly, only teams that have not already qualified are entitled to play in the World Cup. Be sure to check if your favorite team is in this wonderful competition.
Lets take a look at the the formulas used in determining the games.
- Twelve teams participate in each event: ten qualified, two per invitation.
- Japan is always pre-qualified because it is the host nation.
- Five continental champions are qualified plus the best four continental vice-champions according to the FIVB ranking.
- The remaining two teams participate through wild cards granted by the FIVB
- Since the 1999 edition, only teams not yet qualified for the following Olympic Games can compete in the World Cup.
- The competition is divided in exactly two phases (called “legs”).
- Teams are divided in two pools.
- At the first leg, each team plays one match against all other teams in its pool.
- At the second leg, each team plays one match against all the teams in the other pool.
- Matches take place continuously through two weeks, with one-day breaks every two or three days. Each day, six matches are played.
- Final standings are calculated by usual volleyball criteria: match points, numbers of matches won, sets ratio (the total number of sets won divided by the total number of sets lost), points, direct confrontation.
- Top three teams in overall standings, regardless of pools, qualify for the following Olympic Games.
- The tournament implements very tight line-up restrictions. No more than twelve players are allowed, even with injuries.
Now to the important part. The games are not being shown by many providers. If you are in the US or have access to Sling TV, the Universal sports network will have some of the matches available. If you haven’t tried it yet then you can sign up for a 7 day free trial. Of course, to watch Sling TV or Universal sports, you would need a paid subscription. If you are located outside of the the US, you would need a VPN. The FIVB website recommends using www.Laola1.tv . However, since the site is located in Austria, you will want to first connect to a VPN server in Austria.
Enjoy all the excitement during the FIVB World Cup. Please share this post with your friends so they can enjoy the volleyball action from anywhere in the world with a VPN. Follow us @VPNFan for the latest deals and guides.