FFXIV, or Final Fantasy XIV, is the latest of a popular MMORPG series that has been around for a long time. This game is available on Windows, PS5, PS4, and PS3. When playing FFXIV and other online games you might experience lag, DDoS attacks, and slow connection. To Fix this problem I would recommend a VPN. A VPN will change your IP address to another IP you pick. This will help stop DDoS attacks from happening. If you pick an IP near the server you play on then you will have less lag and enjoy a faster connection.
How to Use a VPN to Play Final Fantasy XIV
I’ll use ExpressVPN for the example of how to use a VPN service to play FFXIV online. First you’ll want to download the app. ExpressVPN offers free client software for Windows, Mac and Linux. In addition to free apps for iOS and Android.
Now that you’ve had a chance to download and install the software it’s time to connect. Launch the ExpressVPN client and select a server location. We’ll walk you through step by step using their Windows client.
- Since a lot of gamers like to connect to servers in the US, we used that country for our guide. ExpressVPN has a large network of servers located all over the world.
- We recommend you select Lightway UDP for the best experience. For online gaming, we use either Lightway (PC) or OpenVPN UDP (mobile) because its faster than TCP. They also support IKEv2 and L2TP. We still recommend Lightway UDP for the best mix of speed and privacy protection.
- Click the big round connect button. After a few seconds, you’ll see the area around the button turn green. There will also be a message letting you know the “VPN is ON”
- You now have an IP address in the USA, as far as anyone can tell online. As such, you can reach any site as if you were sitting there. The same would be true if you connected to a server in the UK or anywhere else in the world.
It is just that easy to do. Now that you have an IP address from an ExpressVPN server in the US, you can game, browse the Internet or watch shows as if you were actually there. Connecting to a server in the UK would give you full access to geo blocked sites there as well. The same is true from any country.
As you can probably tell by now a good VPN opens access to content around the world. If you live outside the United States the service can help you access popular services like Netflix, Hulu, and Spotify. You still need an account for services like Netflix but the VPN will help you watch US television shows and movies on Netflix as if you were sitting in the United States or any other region you would like to access.
Final Fantasy XIV Game Highlights
Final Fantasy XIV is a game that you can fight mobs, do events, complete quests, play in fates, craft, explore dungeons, and work to gather with others in parties. All of these things will give you EXP. Before you do this though, you will buy and then get a subscription to play FFXIV. You buy it for Windows, PS4, or PS3 in places like Steam, Amazon, and Gamestop. After this you will start up your game and let it go through its downloads. After that you will login and you will be able to create a character of your choosing and edit it. The character you pick can be one of the multiple races. The list includes:
Elezen: This race would most resemble the Elven from FFXI. Use to be very hostile with the other races because they were believed to be the first race in the land of Eorza. The two tribes that this races has are huge rivals.
Hyur: This race is just like the human race from FFXI. This race is the most common to find in Eorza because the two tribes split up to form cities everywhere.
Lalfella: This race is like the Tarutaru from FFXI. This race is the smallest race. This does not make them at a disadvantage, because they make up in agility and intelligence.
Roegadyn: This race is like the Galka from FFXI, but there is now a female version. This is the biggest race. They were from the North Seas.
- Sea Wolves
Miqo’te: This race is like the Mithra from FFXI, but now there is now a male version. This feline race are hunters that are normally a solitary race.
- Seekers of the Sun
- Keepers of the Moon
Au Ra: This is not available yet, but this character is coming in with FFXIV Heavensward. This race has never been seen in any other version. It is a reptilian race with scales, horns, and tails. They are from the land of Othard.
- Raen Tribe
- Xaela Tribe
Don’t worry about the character’s stats as much as their appearance because the stats are not much better than any one race. To go along with the races there are cities, You will be able to battle outside of cities. You will also be able to buy, sell, and craft items in the city. Each city also has its own jobs for fighting. Each job has different amounts of TP, MP, and HP as you level up the job with EXP. The main cities and their jobs include:
UL’ dah: This city is more like Sandoria from FFXI in the aspects that is huge. The city is big for trade. This city’s leader is a female Lalfella with a male Roegadyn as there armies general and personal protector. Crafting includes goldsmithing, alchemy, mining, and weaving. Jobs include:
- Thaumaturge: When using this spell casting job you will want to watch your MP to determine what spell to cast next. Keep distance when casting with this power house spell caster. Uses MP.
- Pugilist: Hand to hand combat is the Pugilist’s best asset. Stay close and deal massive amounts of damage with this job. Uses TP.
- Gladiator: A true tank (job that takes lots of damage). With your sword and shield you will fight on the battle ground for glory. Keep your opponent close. Uses TP.
Gridania: This city is like Windurst from FFXI because of the more outdoor feel. This city in my opinion is very hard to navigate until you learn where everything is. This city’s leaders are a family Miqo’te. One of them has more power than the other 2 because she is also a military leader. The crafting in the city include carpentry, Leatherworking, and Botanists. Jobs include:
- Archers: When using this bow and arrow job you will be able to shoot and kill mobs from large distances. Make sure to keep your distance because this job is not a hand to hand fighter. Uses TP.
- Lancers: When fighting with your Lance you will have to be brave because there will be no safety with this head to head fighter. You will also want to keep a close range because as soon they get away to shoot you will not be able to attack them. Uses TP
- Conjurers: You will need to be quick to use this job. You might not be able to deal as much damage, but you will be able to heal others and your self. This job is also a spell caster so keep your distance. Uses MP.
Limsa Lominsa: This city is most like Bastok from FFXI in the case that it is a city mainly made for a port and it is pretty small. This city is made up of pirates. The leader of the town, a tall female Elezen, is also the military leader. Crafting here includes armor making, blacksmithing, making food as a culinary, and fishing. Jobs include:
- Marauders: You will carry your axe into the battlefield. With this axe you will be able to damage the opponent with massive amounts of damage along with being able to take it as well. This is a close ranged job so keep the opponent close. Uses TP.
- Arcanists: You will be fighting and healing with your book of spells and your beast that you summon. This job is both ranged and hand to hand. With a beast summoned you can go hand to hand, but besides that keep your distance.Uses MP.
- Rouge: You will have to be mysterious as the night, as quiet as a leaf falling to the ground, and as quick as a cheetah to play this job. You are like FFXI’s thief. You are a with your two daggers will fight hand to hand combat. With this said you will want to keep close to the opponent. Uses TP.
Other Jobs include Black Mage, Paladin, White Mage, Monk, Warrior, Dragoon, Bard, Summoner, Scholar, and Ninja. These jobs are special however because they take certain job leveling to get them. One job will have to be 15 and the other will have to be 30 to obtain the job you want. The level 30 job will share stats and levels with the new job meaning the if you level one job you level the other as well.
There is also three new jobs and new areas coming out soon that will double the size of FFXIV. Currently you can only ride on and fight with Chocobo. With the new expansion you will also be able to fly around the world.
Final Fantasy 14 is a popular MMORPG. It has a new expansion coming out that will make it even better. The jobs are cool to play as. Overall FFXIV is a fun online game that you and your friends will love.
Once again I recommend using a VPN service to play FFXIV online. A VPN will give you an IP address from the server location you choose. It will improve performance and reduce lag. Elite gamers will also appreciate the added protection from DDoS attacks.
Enjoy all the excitement as you play Final Fantasy 14 online. Please share this post with your friends so they can enjoy FFXIV from anywhere in the world with a VPN. Follow us @VPNFan for the latest deals and guides.