The Elder Scrolls Online (ESO) is a free MMORPG. The game puts you in a medieval realm filled with magic and all sorts of monsters. In ESO you fight enemies and complete quests. ESO is massive with very extensive game play that can be challenging. With the game being online there can be lag and slow connection time. Using a VPN you can change your IP address by picking out an IP server in the location you want. If you pick a VPN server close to the game server you may experience less lag and faster connection speeds. A VPN will also give the added bonus of protection from DDoS attacks.
How to Use a VPN to Play Elder Scrolls Online (PC)
I’ll use ExpressVPN for the example of how to use a VPN service to play ESO online. First you’ll want to download the app. ExpressVPN offers free client software for Windows, Mac and Linux. In addition to free apps for iOS and Android.
Now that you’ve had a chance to download and install the software it’s time to connect. Launch the ExpressVPN client and select a server location. We’ll walk you through step by step using their Windows client.
- Since a lot of gamers like to connect to servers in the US, we used that country for our guide. ExpressVPN has a large network of servers located all over the world.
- We recommend you select Lightway UDP for the best experience. For online gaming, we use either Lightway (PC) or OpenVPN UDP (mobile) because its faster than TCP. They also support IKEv2 and L2TP. We still recommend Lightway UDP for the best mix of speed and privacy protection.
- Click the big round connect button. After a few seconds, you’ll see the area around the button turn green. There will also be a message letting you know the “VPN is ON”
- You now have an IP address in the USA, as far as anyone can tell online. As such, you can reach any site as if you were sitting there. The same would be true if you connected to a server in the UK or anywhere else in the world.
It is just that easy to do. Now that you have an IP address from an ExpressVPN server in the US, you can game, browse the Internet or watch shows as if you were actually there. Connecting to a server in the UK would give you full access to geo blocked sites there as well. The same is true from any country.
As you can probably tell by now a good VPN opens access to content around the world. If you live outside the United States the service can help you access popular services like Netflix, Hulu, and Spotify. You still need an account for services like Netflix but the VPN will help you watch US television shows and movies on Netflix as if you were sitting in the United States or any other region you would like to access.
How to Use a VPN to Play Elder Scrolls Online (Xbox One and PS4)
Once again I’ll use ExpressVPN for the example of how to use a VPN service to play ESO on your game console. They are my favorite VPN for gaming because ExpressVPN manages a very large network which makes the service a great choice for gamers.
The first step to getting set up with ExpressVPN is normally to download the client software for your system. ExpressVPN offers free client software for Windows, Mac and Linux. In addition to free apps for iOS and Android. Obviously that won’t work for PlayStation, Xbox, or Nintendo consoles since they lack the native support for VPN. Luckily, there is still a way to encrypt your gaming traffic and send it through a VPN. The answer is running the VPN through your router. Note: if you don’t need encryption you can use the ExpressVPN MediaStramer (Smart DNS) feature without the need to configure your router. It supports a wide range of gaming consoles.
Depending on what brand and model of router you use, it might support third party VPN services. If so you can get the necessary information from your VPN provider to set up a connection through your router. In general, routers with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware support more features than they would with the factory firmware installed. ExpressVPN customers can use their router app to simplify the process. The ExpressVPN router app offers support for a number of Asus, Linksys, and Netgear routers. They also have manual set up guides for DD-WRT, Tomato, D-Link, and TP-Link devices.
ESO Game Highlights
Elder Scrolls Online is an expansive game with lots of maps, races, items, and weapons. Each race in the game is part of its own domain and each domain has multiple maps including the races’ home town. Each domain has different maps or zones that each are meant for different character levels in the game. Note that you can go to higher level areas when at a low level so you will want to be careful. My party once took a quest, that at the time we had no clue how to quit, when starting the game. The quest was way too high of a level. It took us in the middle of a level twenty area when everyone was level five. Luckily we were able to get to one of the lower level zones and back to the domain we were suppose to be in. You will want to be careful on where you go so it is good to know the domains and zones. Domains and there zones include:
- Note: levels are estimated and you get exp for anything 5 levels below you. They will vary based on skill, race, and amount of players with you. Solo players will want to play it a little safer.
The Daggerfall Covenant:
- Stros M’Kai Levels (1-5)
- Betnikh Levels (5-7)
- Stormhaven Levels (15-24)
- Rivenspire Levels (24-31)
- Alik’r Desert Levels (32-40)
- Bangkorai Levels (41-50)
- Bleakrock Isle Levels (1- 3)
- Bal Foyen Levels (3-6)
- Stonefalls Levels (1-15)
- Deshaan Levels (16-24)
- Shadowfen Levels (25-34)
- Eastmarch Levels (35-40)
- The Rift Levels (41-50)
- Khenarthi’s ‘Roost Levels (1-5)
- Auridon Levels (1-15)
- Grahtwood Levels (16-23)
- Greenshade Levels (25-33)
- Malabal Tor Levels (34-42)
- Reaper’s March (43-50)
Another thing that you might want to do before entering ESO is know more about the races or factions. The races each have there own advantages and disadvantages. Each race also belongs to a city. These cities are safe havens and have quests that you can complete. The races and there cities include:
The Daggerfall Covenant:
- Orcs: Very strong characters with lots of health and are good with heavy armor. They live in Orsinium.
- Redguards: Quick adversaries that work best with swords and shields. They live in Hammerfell.
- Bretons: They are a magic caster who is not as good at hand to hand combat. They live in High Rock.
- Argonians: Reptilians with a great resistance to poison and disease, good speed, and good magic. They live in Black Marsh.
- Nords: They are good melee attackers with great resistance to frost. They live in Skyrim.
- Dunmer: They are proficient at magic and fighting making them a race that can do either. They live in Morrowind.
- Altmer: This race makes great sorcerers. They live in Summerset Isles.
- Bosmar: This race makes great thieves and archers. They live in Valenwood.
- Khajiit: A cat creature that posses little magical abilities, but makes it up in stealth and agility. They live in Elsweyr.
- Imperials: This DLC race is good at melee attacks and it gains more health as it fights. They live in Imperial City.
Every character can use every weapon. Weapons are put into categories. Every category you can level up by using the weapon it instructs. By leveling up the categories you can unlock passive and active abilities/skills. Active abilities you have to activate to use, while passive abilities are always active and don’t have to be turned on. Active abilities also increase in power as you increase stamina/magika based on the category. The weapon categories include:
- Two hand: For this you will use a two handed weapons like axes and swords. If you like being a offensive tank then this would be more up your alley. In this case an offensive tank it is a person who can tank some damage, but it hits like a powerhouse. *Note: Heavy armor works well.
- One hand and shield: This is a tanking class that uses a one handed weapon like a knife, sword, or axe and a shield. For this category you can tank some damage and cause some damage, but not as much as the two hand can. The main reason for this being considered a tank is because of the skills that is part of the category.
- Dual wield: In this category you will equip two one handed weapons. If you enjoy being thief then you will like this category. This class does a lot of small strikes that does not damage a lot, but the strikes are so often that the small attacks lead to massive damage. *Note: This category is based on stealth.
- Bow: On this you use a bow and arrow. Unlike other games the arrows are infinite and don’t have to be bought.
- Destruction staff: This uses destruction staves to attack. This category would be considered a black mage in other games. This can be use by Restoration staff users as well since both classes use magic.
- Restoration staff: This uses a restoration staff to heal and attack opponents. In other games this category would be considered a white mage. This can be use by Destruction staff users as well since both classes use magic.
You will use these weapons to fight enemies that you encounter while exploring. In the game you can fight enemies freely or take quests. Some quests can be taken as a team and no this will not split the rewards. As rewards you will get armor, weapons, gold, and other items. With gold you can buy items. You can also craft items. The items you make will increase in quality as you level up in the crafting you choose. You will need to get resources in order to craft. To do that you can fish, mine stones, chop wood, kill enemy, explore and search different things. The different crafting includes:
- Alchemy: Make potions and poison.
- Blacksmithing:Make armor, metal shields, and weapons.
- Clothier: Make light and medium armor.
- Enchanting: Make items that can be put on armor and weapons to give them special abilities.
- Provisions: Cook food and beverages.
- Woodworking: Make wooden shields, staffs, bows, and other wooden weapons.
ESO Is a free to play MMORPG for Xbox One, PS4, and PC. This game is a very technical and is very in-depth. It has so much that can be done. You can do almost anything from being a hero of the land to being a murderer and rebel of the law. Elder Scrolls Online is a very fun game that I think you and your friends will enjoy.
Once again I recommend using a VPN service to play ESO online. A VPN will give you an IP address from the server location you choose. It will improve performance and reduce lag. Elite gamers will also appreciate the added protection from DDoS attacks.
Enjoy all the excitement as you play Elder Scrolls Online. Please share this post with your friends so they can enjoy gaming from anywhere in the world with a VPN. Follow us @VPNFan for the latest deals and guides.