Doom was originally created in 1993. It was a single player violent shooter. The new Doom is similar, but it also has an online multiplayer mode. The New Doom is available for PC, Xbox One, and PS4. The online gameplay might have lag, slow connections, and DDoS attacks. To fix these problems I would recommend a VPN. A VPN will assign you a IP address based on the server location you pick. If you pick a server location close to the server you play on then you will be have less lag and better connection times. A VPN will also help with DDoS attacks because it replaces your public IP. Doom is extremely violent and because of this it has been restricted in certain regions. A VPN can get around geographical restrictions and firewalls that would otherwise keep you from playing.
|Rank||VPN Service||VPN Fan|
How to Use a VPN to Play Doom (PC)
I’ll use ExpressVPN for the example of how to use a VPN service to play Doom online. First you’ll want to download the VPN client. ExpressVPN offers free client software for Windows, Mac and Linux. In addition to free apps for iOS and Android.
Now that you’ve had a chance to download and install the software it’s time to connect. Launch the ExpressVPN client and select a server location. We’ll walk you through step by step using their Windows client.
- Since a lot of gamers like to connect to servers in the US, we used that country for our guide. ExpressVPN has a large network of servers located all over the world.
- We recommend you select OpenVPN (TCP) or (UDP). For streaming videos from sites like YouTube, we use OpenVPN (UDP) because its faster than TCP. They also support PPTP, L2TP, and SSTP. We still recommend OpenVPN UDP for the best mix of speed and privacy protection.
- Click the big round connect button. After a few seconds, you’ll see the shield around the button turn green. There will also be a message letting you know the “VPN is ON”
- You now have an IP address in the USA, as far as anyone can tell online. As such, you can reach any site as if you were sitting there. The same would be true if you connected to a server in the UK or anywhere else in the world.
It is just that easy to do. Now that you have an IP address from an ExpressVPN server in the US, you can game, browse the Internet or watch shows as if you were actually there. Connecting to a server in the UK would give you full access to geo blocked sites there as well. The same is true from any country.
As you can probably tell by now a good VPN opens access to content around the world. If you live outside the United States the service can help you access popular services like Netflix, Hulu and Pandora. You still need an account for services like Netflix but the VPN will help you watch US television shows and movies on Netflix as if you were sitting in the United States or any other region you would like to access.
How to Use a VPN to Play Doom (Xbox One and PS4)
Once again I’ll use ExpressVPN for the example of how to use a VPN service to play Doom on your game console. They are my favorite VPN for gaming because ExpressVPN manages a very large network which makes the service a great choice for gamers.
The first step to getting set up with ExpressVPN is normally to download the client software for your system. ExpressVPN offers free client software for Windows, Mac and Linux. In addition to free apps for iOS and Android. Obviously that won’t work for PS4, Xbox One, or Nintendo since the game consoles lack the native support for VPN. Luckily, there is still a way to encrypt your gaming traffic and send it through a VPN. The answer is running the VPN through your router. Note: if you don’t need encryption you can use the ExpressVPN MediaStramer (Smart DNS) feature without the need to configure your router. It supports a wide range of gaming consoles.
Depending on what brand and model of router you use, it might support third party VPN services. If so you can get the necessary information from your VPN provider to set up a connection through your router. Otherwise I highly recommend FlashRouters. The FlashRouters team takes popular, brand name routers and flashes them with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware. That allows the devices to have far more features than they would with the factory firmware installed. All FlashRouters come pre-configured with support for VPN.
Doom Game Highlights
Doom is very popular and is an extremely brutal game. The game has a lot of strategy involved. It also has a lot of game play options and modes.
Game modes include:
- Single player: This mode has levels and is offline. You will be able to play alone with AI and try to combat the storms of enemies.
- Multiplayer: Online gameplay.
- Team Death Match: You and your team will fight in a death match. In this match you will be able to use power ups and demon modes. You can also use customizations. The team with the set number of points from kills first or the higher number of kills at the end of time is the winner.
- Clan Arena: You and your clan will fight other teams. You will not have any power ups, demon modes, or health pickups. Once you are dead you don’t respawn and the team with the most members left at the end wins.
- Domination: These include three points that each team must try to control. The team with the preset amount of points or the most points when time ends.
- Warpath: This is like King of the Hill, which you have to control one point. It is won the same exact way as the others.
- Freeze Tag: It works just like freeze tag in the real world, but instead of using your hands you use guns. The way you win is either completely freezing the other team or having the most active players by the time the match ends.
- Soul Harvest: It works the exact same way as Team Death Match except after you kill the enemy you must harvest their soul. You also win the same exact way.
Doom has power ups and demons that can be used in battle. As for demons, you can turn into certain ones if you get a rune. As a demon you can not pick up power ups or health.
Power ups include:
- Invisibility (multiplayer only)
- Regeneration (multiplayer only)
- Berserk (single player only)
- Invulnerability (single player only)
- Quad Damage (both)
- Haste (both)
- The Revenant
- The Baron of Hell
- The Mancubus
- The Prowler
These guns are very effective and there are also some very effective melee weapons. Speaking of weapons, Doom has no shortage of them.
Some weapons include:
- Burst Rifle
- Combat Shotgun
- Frag Grenade
- Gauss Cannon
- Heavy Assault Rifle
- Lighting Guns
- Personal Teleporter
- Plasma Gun
- Rocket Launcher
- Siphon Grenade
- Super Shotgun
- Vortex Rifle
You can play using these guns, powers, and demon modes in maps. The game modes are also used on maps. Every map in the game is very unique.
This game is very exciting. With this being said it also has very cool enemies. Every enemy that you will be face the different levels of the games in multiplier and single player.
The enemies include:
- Possessed Humans
- The Possessed
- Possessed Engineer
- Possessed Security
- Possessed Soldier
- Regular Demons
- Barons of Hell
- Hell Guards
- Hell Knights
- Hell Razors
- Lost Souls
- Prowlers (multiplayer only)
- Spider Mastermind
- Other Demons
- Gore Nests
Doom 2016 is very violent shooter. It has a lot of game mode options. Doom also has a lot of guns that are very fun. The game is on PC, PS4, and Xbox One. On the PC side steam is what you can use to buy the game. Doom is a fun game that I am sure you and your friends will enjoy.
Once again I recommend using a VPN to play Doom. A VPN will give you an IP address from the server location you choose. It will also improve performance by lowering your ping and protect you from DDoS attacks. It will help you get past geographical restrictions and the firewalls at school or work.
Enjoy all the excitement as you play Doom online. Please share this post with your friends so they can enjoy gaming from anywhere in the world with a VPN. Follow us @VPNFan for the latest deals and guides.