Diablo 2: Resurrected is a remastering of the popular Blizzard game Diablo 2 and its expansion, Lord of Destruction. This co-developed game was released on September 23rd, 2021. The team released it for Microsoft Windows, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X and Series S. As you can guess by other remastered games, the resurrection mainly updates the graphics. Since the game originally came out 20 years prior, technology and graphics have changed dramatically. However, connecting to a VPN may help you with some of the other issues. The right VPN can help reduce ping times and improve lag. It will also protect you against DDoS attacks. Here are a few of our favorites.
If you are a fan of Blizzard Entertainment, you know that this is not the first time they have updated one of their games. They do this on many of their titles from time to time. Why, you may ask? Because they make great games. Most of their games are still fun to play for a majority of their audience. Of course, as with anything, you will have critics and purists that won’t like this one. In this case, the purists will be glad to know that the gameplay and systems did not change, only how the game looks and sounds have been enhanced. It is worth checking out. However, we suggest you connect to a VPN for several reasons.
How to Connect to a Diablo II: Resurrected Server through a VPN
Because of the multiple platforms, you have many options to play this game. That said, we are going to use the Windows version. Here, we’ll use ExpressVPN for the example of how to use a VPN service to play Diablo II: Resurrected online. You’ll want to start this process by downloading the VPN client. While the game is only available for Windows and Linux, ExpressVPN offers Windows, Mac, and Linux custom apps. Additionally, they offer mobile apps for iOS and Android devices.
After you’ve had a chance to download and install the software, go ahead and connect. Launch the ExpressVPN client and select a server location. Here is the step-by-step process when using their Windows client.
- Since many gamers like to connect to servers in the US, we used that country for our guide. ExpressVPN has a large network of servers located all over the world. For early access to games, we often recommend connecting to a server in Australia.
- Once you open it up, we suggest you let the client select your protocol. Typically, it is set to auto by default. If you want to test out different protocols, we suggest trying Lightway (UDP) or IKEv2 for the best performance.
- Click the big round connect button. After a few seconds, you’ll see the circle around the button turn green. There will also be a message letting you know the “VPN is ON.”
- You now have an IP address in the USA, as far as anyone can tell online. As such, you can reach any site as if you were sitting there. The same would be true if you connected to a server in the UK or anywhere else in the world.
It is just that easy to do. Now that you have an IP address from an ExpressVPN server in the US, you can game, browse the Internet or watch shows and movies on your console or computer, just as if you were there. Connecting to a server in the UK would give you full access to geo-blocked or censored sites there as well. You can say the same for other countries.
VPNs open access to content around the world and help you find less busy areas for games like Diablo II: Resurrected. If you are not in the US, connecting to a VPN will allow you to access popular services like Netflix, Hulu, and Pandora. You’ll still need an account for services like Netflix, but the VPN will help you watch US television shows and movies on Netflix on your favorite console or comp, just as if you were sitting in the United States or others.
Now, we’ll take a look at some of the things you can expect to see in the resurrected version vs. the original.
- Updated 3D models and skins – These models are atop the original 2D sprites. If you want to change to the original look, you can easily toggle back and forth with a simple button press. The game now supports 4K Resolution.
- Upgraded sound – Blizzard spared no expense on this one. Because gamers have become audiophiles, more and more games have improved sound. That includes 7.1 Dolby Surround sound. That way, you can hear your body being mangled from multiple directions.
- Secret Cow Level – This level is also known as Moo Moo Farm and is infinitely repeatable for players.
Of course, games have critical ratings, just like movies and shows. By the audience as a whole, the critics give this game an 80 out of 100. That means there is a good chance that you’ll like what Blizzard has done to the game. Unlike some games, Blizzard listens to fan reactions and takes them into account. They specifically wanted to avoid the issues they had with the Warcraft III re-release. However, that could also mean that you’ll run into issues while playing. That includes server lag if you are not on a dedicated server. By connecting to a VPN, you can easily switch locations to provide yourself and your friends with better speed. If you are playing in multiplayer mode, that could mean the difference in having the match go your way, or losing your rear end.