Instagram is a huge social media platform and is one of the most popular social media platforms in the world. If you use it, it can be a very important app. However, the chances are that you are reading this post because you are tired of it or just want to remove it and want to delete your account. These days, many people want to take a break from social media, try to protect their future job prospects, or just unplug altogether. While permanently deleting your Instagram may seem like a big step, it can help you regain time you have lost in your life.
Deleting Your Instagram Account
As you might guess, just deleting the shortcuts to Instagram is not enough. You need to delete your account and everything on it. That means any photos, likes, and comments will be permanently removed. Just remember, though, that if you take this step, there is no retrieving the information if you change your mind. Because of that, you may wish to keep a copy for your records. Of course, you can always create a new account but you will be starting fresh. Let’s take a look at the steps to help you begin the process.
- Start by opening Instagram and tap the profile icon in the lower right corner.
- Tap the three vertical lines in the top right corner, on select “Settings” at the bottom.
- Next, select “Privacy and Security” from your Settings menu, then find the “Download Data” option.
- Enter your email address and tap “Request Download.”
Even though you may think you won’t need it, you never know when you will. By following the steps above, the IG team will email you a complete file of everything in your profile.
Once you have the information from Instagram, it is time to delete. Here are the steps you need to take.
- Start by going to the special Delete Your Account page located on your mobile device or desktop.
- Log in, if prompted to do so and select a reason for deletion from the drop-down menu. You need to follow this step to proceed.
- Re-enter your account password in the blank provided and select “Permanently delete my account.”
Those are the steps to permanently delete your account. That said, what if you only want to take a break from IG? In that case, you can simply disable your account. What that will do is log you out and hide your profile. For all intents and purposes, you have practically deleted your account but you can return back to it.
Disable Your Instagram Account
If you only wish to disable your account, these are the steps you need to take.
- First, go to Instagram.com from your phone or computer. Keep in mind that you cannot do this from the app. Next, log in, if prompted to do so.
- Click on the profile icon in the upper right hand corner.
- Click “Edit Profile.”
- Scroll down and click “Temporarily disable my account” to the right of the “Submit” button.
- You will be asked why you are doing this. Select an option from the drop-down menu.
- Re-enter your account password.
- Click “Temporarily Disable Account.”
You can only disable your IG account once a week, according to the company’s policies.
And there you have the processes that you need to disable or delete your Instagram account. Share this post with your friends so they can easily figure out how to disable or delete their Instagram account as well. Follow us @VPNFan for the latest deals and guides.