Gmail has been around for 15+ years. From the time it came out, it quickly changed the way that email was handled. Instead of forcing the user to read and delete previous emails, it stored them all on their servers. However, sometimes you need to delete your Gmail account. That can happen for a few different reasons. Those include a few too many accounts or even dumping email altogether. No matter what your reason is for doing so, we can help you do just that. Even though this is not a hard process, it can be a bit tedious. That is because it asks you to click many different times. As you might guess, Google wants to make absolutely sure that you want to delete your account.
How do I Delete My Gmail Account?
As we mentioned, this process is simple, but there are a number of different things you need to click. Let’s take a look at the steps now.
- Open your Gmail account and click on the Google Account Settings icon in the upper right hand corner (it will either be a colored circle with a letter in it, or an image).
- Next, click on the hyperlink that says Manage your data & personalization under the Privacy and Personalization heading.
- From here, you will scroll down to the heading that says Download, delete, or make a plan for your data and select Delete a service or your account (of course, you can select the other options but this post is specifically about deleting your account).
- Now, select Delete a service on the next page.
- Sign into your Gmail account and on the next page when prompted, click the icon of a trashcan in the section that says Gmail.
- Enter an email address that is different from the one you are trying to close (we suggest using the recovery email).
- Click the hyperlink that says SEND VERIFICATION EMAIL.
- When you recieve the security alert email, follow the deletion link.
- If you are prompted to, log into the Gmail account you are deleting, click the link that says Yes I want to delete XXX@gmail.com, click Delete Gmail, and click Done.
Now, if anyone tries to email your old Gmail account, they will get a delivery failure message. And there you have the steps that you would follow to delete your Gmail account. Please share this post with your friends so they can delete their Gmail accounts as well. Follow us @VPNFan for the latest privacy guides, VPN deals, and news.