Brawlhalla is a multiplayer fighting game. It was produced by Blue Mammoth Games. Brawlhalla is a very fun game that can be quite competitive. It can be played offline, but the main gameplay comes from online modes. You can play with friends or alone both online and offline. Play for free on Windows, Mac, and PS4. With the main features of Brawlhalla being online you are likely to experience some lag and slow connections. To help fix these problems I would recommend a VPN. A VPN allows you to change your IP address to another IP in the location of the VPN server you choose. If you select a location close to the sever you play on then you will have less lag and improved performance. Professional players will also appreciate the protection from DDoS attacks that a VPN provides.
How to Use a VPN to Play Brawlhalla (PC)
I’ll use ExpressVPN for the example of how to use a VPN service to play Brawlhalla online. First you’ll want to download the VPN client. ExpressVPN offers free client software for Windows, Mac and Linux. In addition to free apps for iOS and Android.
Now that you’ve had a chance to download and install the software it’s time to connect. Launch the ExpressVPN client and select a server location. We’ll walk you through step by step using their Windows client.
- Since a lot of gamers like to connect to servers in the US, we used that country for our guide. ExpressVPN has a large network of servers located all over the world.
- We recommend you select OpenVPN (TCP) or (UDP). For streaming videos from sites like YouTube, we use OpenVPN (UDP) because its faster than TCP. They also support PPTP, L2TP, and SSTP. We still recommend OpenVPN UDP for the best mix of speed and privacy protection.
- Click the big round connect button. After a few seconds, you’ll see the shield around the button turn green. There will also be a message letting you know the “VPN is ON”
- You now have an IP address in the USA, as far as anyone can tell online. As such, you can reach any site as if you were sitting there. The same would be true if you connected to a server in the UK or anywhere else in the world.
It is just that easy to do. Now that you have an IP address from an ExpressVPN server in the US, you can game, browse the Internet or watch shows as if you were actually there. Connecting to a server in the UK would give you full access to geo blocked sites there as well. The same is true from any country.
As you can probably tell by now a good VPN opens access to content around the world. If you live outside the United States the service can help you access popular services like Netflix, Hulu and Pandora. You still need an account for services like Netflix but the VPN will help you watch US television shows and movies on Netflix as if you were sitting in the United States or any other region you would like to access.
How to Use a VPN to Play Brawlhalla (PS4)
Once again I’ll use ExpressVPN for the example of how to use a VPN service to play Brawlhalla on your game console. They are my favorite VPN for gaming because ExpressVPN manages a very large network which makes the service a great choice for gamers.
The first step to getting set up with ExpressVPN is normally to download the client software for your system. ExpressVPN offers free client software for Windows, Mac and Linux. In addition to free apps for iOS and Android. Obviously that won’t work for PS4, Xbox One, or Nintendo since the game consoles lack the native support for VPN. Luckily, there is still a way to encrypt your gaming traffic and send it through a VPN. The answer is running the VPN through your router. Note: if you don’t need encryption you can use the ExpressVPN MediaStramer (Smart DNS) feature without the need to configure your router. It supports a wide range of gaming consoles.
Depending on what brand and model of router you use, it might support third party VPN services. If so you can get the necessary information from your VPN provider to set up a connection through your router. Otherwise I highly recommend FlashRouters. The FlashRouters team takes popular, brand name routers and flashes them with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware. That allows the devices to have far more features than they would with the factory firmware installed. All FlashRouters come pre-configured with support for VPN.
Brawlhalla Game Highlights
Brawlhalla is a fighting game with many different ways to fight and maneuver around the map. The objective is to knock your opponent off the screen and KO them. You have three jumps in the air that are reset every time a player touches the ground or wall. You also have side and up air attacks to help you recover from being knocked out. Characters have different stats that help them to keep on the screen. The stats fall under four categories. These include:
- Speed: This will increase how fast your character can move.
- Defense: This allows your character to take more hits before being knocked off the screen.
- Dexterity: This increases the characters’ attack speed.
- Strength: This increases damage output and makes knocking an opponent of the screen easier.
Brawlhalla has many weapons that the characters use. Your character will start off with only their fists. After a while you will be able to pick up bombs, land mines, and spike balls. To get the main weapons you will need to pick up the sword like object of light. You could also pick up a horn and call for a weapon to be transported to you. Each character has a custom move set for each of their two weapons. These weapons include:
- Axe: This is a powerful medium ranged weapon.
- Blasters: They are dual pistols that have a shorter range attack.
- Bow: This is a ranged weapon that has a long range.
- Cannon: This is a slow but powerful ranged weapon.
- Gauntlets: This is a short range melee weapon that is great at spiking an opponent.
- Hammer: This is a long weapon that that can normally drag opponents closer.
- Rocket Lance: It is a long weapon that can launch a character in different directions.
- Katar: Dual blades that are high in damage output, but have a shorter range.
- Scythe: Long range weapon that when used correctly can be very deadly.
- Spear: Long weapon that is good for keeping your distance.
- Sword: This is an all around melee weapon with medium range.
Brawlhalla has a huge cast of characters that is growing. Each character is unique and has there own statistics and weapons. They also have their own special attacks associated with their lore and weapon. All of these characters are unlockable by playing and earning coins or paying for them. There is also a character rotation that will allow you to play as the characters for free. Characters include:
- Ada: She is part of an elite group of combat hackers and a member of a post-punk revival band. She thinks Valhalla is a video game sim. She uses blasters and a spear.
- Artemis: She was a reader that found she has the power to open wormholes. Artemis was trying to open one to Valhalla, but accidentally ended up in space. She had to work hard to survive and reach Valhalla. She uses a Rocket Lance and Scythe.
- Asuri: She was a village noble whose uncle cursed her to be a tiger. She protected the village in her state, but after a large typhoon destroyed the village she was left confused. Now she fights in Valhalla for the territory. She uses a sword and Katar.
- Azoth: He use to be a great king who vowed his empire would never fall. He created seven soul stones using dark magic. When assembled these stones resurrected him and allowed him to rule the empire. When not summoned Azoth spends his afterlife in Valhalla. He uses a Bow and Axe.
- Barraza: He was born fifty years into the robotic apocalypse. He was shot in the chest and left for dead, but he was able to survive with the help of an artificial heart. He got his revenge and defeated the robots of the apocalypse. Now he looks on to Valhalla as his next threat. He uses an axe and blasters.
- Brynn: She is a child of Hypernia, an immortal goddess of Asgard. Brynn’s mission in the tournament is to learn more about mortals and to see if she belongs with them. She uses an axe and spear.
- Bödvar: He had a Viking mother and a bear father. Because of this he was feared by the Vikings. He killed his bear of a brother in order to choose humanity and helped the Vikings by becoming an all conquering hero. He was worried he wasn’t going to get into Valhalla so he broke in. Valhalla is his dream. He uses a hammer and sword.
- Caspian: He was the son of a mad king who trained him to be a thief. Caspian turned into the best thief/actor who had people clapping for him instead of calling the police. He looks at Valhalla as a great stage. He uses gauntlets and a katar.
- Cassidy: She is a cowgirl who maintains justice. Ever since her first arrest at fifteen Cassidy has maintained justice. She considers Valhalla the new frontier she must conquer. She uses a hammer and blasters.
- Cross: He made a deal with a demon to help him fight in Italy with the Allied army. The demon promised to help him, but at a price. Luckily his fight never ended. He was a mobster in New York, who uses Valhalla as a loophole in the deal with the demon. He uses blasters and gauntlets.
- Dianna: She is a the commander of a monster hunting group. She drove out all the vampires of Europe and slew the mad king three different times. Once as a human, second as a vampire, and third as a ghost of the vampire. She uses a bow and blasters.
- Ember: She is the only mortal who has ever seen the center of the Fangwild Forest. To get to the center she had to go on a grand adventure that has earned her a right into Valhalla. She uses a bow and katar.
- Gnash: He was raised by the jungle itself. He has earned the name of long tooth by saber-tooths he hunted and is the oldest member of Valhalla. He uses a hammer and spear.
- Hattori: She is a skilled swordsman who took on any challenger. A demon was suppose to fight her, but on that day she had lost her power to fight. Enraged the demon took her sisters and Hattori had to save them. She uses a sword and spear.
- Jhala: She lived in a harsh land that was under constant threats. She had to protect her village from completely burning down by defeating The Lord of Scales and his dragon. She uses an axe and sword.
- Kaya: She is a brave warrior who fought off giant Ice Titans that had been thought to be myth. She used her tactical skills and great aim in order to save her village. She uses a bow and spear.
- Koji: He was the second son of his family that knew he would not inherit their sword or school. He tried to master his own technique as a result. Koji’s father and his students were ordered to die and as a result Koji received the sword. He trained for years and eventually seeked his revenge. He uses a sword and a bow.
- Kor: He uses gauntlets and a hammer.
- Lucien: He uses a katar and blasters.
- Mirage: She uses a scythe and spear.
- Mordex: He uses a scythe and gauntlets.
- Queen Nai: She uses a spear and katar.
- Nix: She uses a scythe and blasters.
- Orion: He uses a rocket lance and spear.
- Ragnir: He uses a katar and axe.
- Sir Roland: He uses a rocket lance and sword.
- Scarlet: She uses a hammer and rocket lance.
- Sentinel: He uses a hammer and katar.
- Sidra: She uses a cannon and sword.
- Teros: He uses an axe and hammer.
- Thatch: He uses a sword and blasters.
- Ulgrim: He uses an axe and rocket lance.
- Val: She uses gauntlets and a sword.
- Lord Vraxx: He uses a rocket lance and blasters.
- Wu Shang: He uses gauntlets and a spear.
- Xull: He uses a cannon and axe.
- Yumiko: He uses a bow and hammer.
You can play as the characters in multiple modes. All the modes are different from each other. The online modes include:
- Free-For-All: It is an online 4 v.s. 4 time battle. The player with the highest net value wins in the end.
- Strikeout 1v1: This is a stalk match in which you play as three different characters with each character taking one stalk.
- Friendly 2v2: This is a team stalk match where each player gets three stalk and team attack is off.
- Experimental 1v1: It is a test of the new features in the game.
- Ranked 1v1: This is a stalk match in which you will be ranked and you play as one character.
- Ranked 2v2: This is a team stalk match where each player gets three stalk and team attack is on.
- Custom game room: You can get online with your friends to play in your own rooms.
- Brawl of the Week: These are special weekly events.
Offline modes include:
- Couch Party: This is a customizable room that you can play offline on.
- Training: You can use this to hone your skills.
- Tournament: You go head to head with the CPU.
- Tutorials: Teaches you the basics of the game.
Brawlhalla is a fighting game with a diverse cast of characters. The lore behind the characters is in depth and each character has their own variation of the main weapons. There are a lot of game modes and it is free to play. Overall Brawlhalla is a great game that I’m sure you and your friends will enjoy.
Enjoy all the excitement as you play Brawlhalla online. Please share this post with your friends so they can enjoy gaming from anywhere in the world with a VPN. Follow us @VPNFan for the latest deals and guides.