Coinbase is a private digital coin exchange located in San Francisco, California. The company brokers exchanges of Bitcoin, BitcoinCash, Ethereum, Dogecoin, Litecoin, Tezos, and fiat currencies. others. The two gentlemen that founded the company, Brian Armstrong and Fred Ehrsam, started it in 2012. While it trades most of those currencies in approximately 32 countries, it trades and stores Bitcoin in 190 countries worldwide. Despite all of that access, protecting your sensitive financial data and unblocking any restrictions while traveling is crucial. That is why we suggest using a VPN.
As you can see, signing up for Coinbase is easy to do. You will find ExpressVPN just as easy to subscribe to. After signing up for one or both services, you are ready to start trading your favorite cryptocurrencies. If you are going to use it or thinking about it, Coinbase is a good place to start. Their system makes everything easy. Cryptocurrencies can make a good investment because there is no chance of a central authority manipulating the markets.
What is Cryptocurrency and how can I trade it through Coinbase?
Unlike money issued by the various countries, cryptocurrency is decentralized digital money, designed to be used over the internet. The biggest example of this is Bitcoin. Created in 2008, this system uses a technology called a blockchain to record and vet transactions. The system logs and encrypts transactions as it makes them. Bitcoins can be mined using highly specialized computers. Those machines run the open-source blockchain software. However, mining can take time and can be expensive for electricity. Because of that, some companies offer cloud mining. Patrons buy into contracts to take part in that process. As we mentioned, there are now many different types of cryptocurrency.
Because they are decentralized, no government has control over them. Instead, transactions are managed by a peer-to-peer network. That allows the value to transfer globally, 24/7 with low fees. Each currency has its own blockchain and is constantly ongoing. That information is distributed across all of the participants on the digital currency’s entire network. Blockchain is a breakthrough style of technology that is only possible because of computer science and mathematical innovations.
The key to trading through Coinbse is to buy and sell cryptocurrency from a supported region. If you plan to travel outside the countries listed below then we suggest connecting to a VPN server. Otherwise you will be blocked from using the service. Also, a VPN will help protect your privacy and unblock any restrictions placed by governments or network administrators.
- North America – Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Canada, Costa Rica, Curaçao, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Trinidad and Tobago, United States, Virgin Islands.
- South America – Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay
- Europe – Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Gibraltar, Greece, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom
- Asia – Armenia, Bahrain, Brunei Darussalam, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Macao, Maldives, Mongolia, Nepal, Oman, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Uzbekistan
- Oceania – New Zealand
- Africa – Angola, Benin, Botswana, Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, Namibia, Rwanda, South Africa, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia
As you can see, Coinbase is available in over 100 countries around the world. We recommend connecting though a VPN server in your home country whenever possible. Here are some of the best VPN services to use with Coinbase.
How to Access Coinbase from any country through a VPN server
Fortunately, protecting your transactions and accessing Coinbase while traveling is easy to do. Just make sure you follow these directions. In this example, we’ll use ExpressVPN.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee)
- Once you get your express account set up on your favorite devices, do ahead and connect to a VPN server in the United States.
- Go to the Coinbase.com website or open the app.
- If you already have an account there, click “Sign In”. Otherwise, click the button that says “Get started”. If you are signing up, they’ll give you $5 in Bitcoin to start you out.
- Registration for Coinbase is as secure as you would hope it to be. They only ask for your first name, last name, and email address. If you are in the US, though, it will ask for your state as you see below.
- If you have any questions, you can reach out to the ExpressVPN support team. They are there to help 24 hours a day.