League of Legends World Championship is one of the biggest Esports tournaments in the world. This year, the 9th version will take place from October 2nd to November 10, 2019 in Berlin, Madrid, and Paris. There are 24 teams from 13 regions competing in the tournament. As you might think, the tournament is available on Twitch TV. However, the popular website is not available in all countries. If you try to watch it there, you will be blocked. Because of that, what we suggest is what you would need to connect to a VPN.
How to Watch League of Legends World Championships from Anywhere
As we mentioned, the tournament is available on Twitch TV, but not available in all countries. If you are blocked in the country you are in, follow these steps.
- Sign up for ExpressVPN (includes a 30 day risk-free money-back guarantee)
- Download and install the ExpressVPN app on your device
- Connect to a VPN server in one of the countries so you can definitely get coverage.
- Enjoy the live streaming access of the League of Legends World Championships.
Let’s take a look at the regions and number of teams in the championship.
- China – 3 teams
- Europe – 2 teams
- North America – 2 teams
- South Korea – 2 teams
- TW/HK/MO – 2 teams
- Vietnam – 1 team
Play-in teams and regions are:
- Europe – 1 team
- North America – 1 team
- South Korea – 1 team
- TW/HK/MO – 1 team
- Vietnam – 1 team
- CIS – 1 team
- Latin America – 1 team
- Turkey – 1 team
- Brazil – 1 team
- Japan – 1 team
- Oceania – 1 team
- Southeast Asia – 1 team
How to Use a VPN to Watch League of Legends World Championships
We’ll use ExpressVPN for the example of how to use a VPN service to stream League of Legends. First, you’ll want to download the VPN client. ExpressVPN offers free client software for Windows, Mac and Linux. In addition to free apps for iOS and Android.
Now that you’ve had a chance to download and install the software, it’s time to connect. Launch the ExpressVPN client and select a server location. We’ll walk you through step by step using their Windows client.
- Select a server location. We suggest you use a server in the US. That is because you would be geo-blocked if you are in a country that blocks it. For the purpose of this post, we chose a server in the US.
- We recommend you select OpenVPN (TCP) or (UDP). For streaming videos from sites like YouTube, we use OpenVPN (UDP) because it’s faster than TCP. They also support PPTP, L2TP, and SSTP. We still recommend OpenVPN UDP for the best mix of speed and privacy protection.
- Click the big round connect button. After a few seconds, you’ll see the shield around the button turn green. There will also be a message letting you know the “VPN is ON”.
- You now have an IP address in the US, as far as anyone can tell online. As such, you can reach any site as if you were sitting there. The same would be true if you connected to a server in a different country.
That’s all there is to it. Now that you have an IP address from the ExpressVPN server in The US, you can browse the Internet as if you were actually there. The same is true from any country. Connect to a server in the United Kingdom or another country if you prefer to watch other coverage.
Good VPN providers open access to content around the world. If you live outside the United States, the service can help you access popular services like Netflix, Hulu, and Pandora. You still need an account for services like Netflix but the VPN will help you watch US television shows and movies on Netflix as if you were sitting in the United States or any other countries you would like to access.
Enjoy all the excitement of League of Legends World Championships, and see which of the teams will take the victory. Please share this post with your friends so they can enjoy this great streaming service from anywhere in the world with a VPN. Follow us @VPNFan for the latest deals, guides, and news.