ARMS is a new competitive boxing game for the Nintendo Switch. It uses the Switch’s Joy-Cons for very accurate motion controls, so you can play with motion and non-motion controls effectively. ARMS has you fighting others in a ring or even playing sports. It can be played online for fun or competitively. Being a competitive online game you might experience lag, slow connectivity, and possibly DDoS attacks. To help fix these problems I would recommend a VPN. A VPN allows you to change your IP address to one in another location. If you pick a location close to the server you play on then you should have improved connectivity and less lag. Since it is not your IP address, you will have improved protection from DDoS attacks.
ARMS is a unique boxing title. The competitors use extendible arms to battle. These weapons are named ARMS and they change from character to character. Each competitor has special abilities to help them. They also have their own stages. They are all unique and have their own fighting style. Some of the characters include:
- Spring Man: He is also known as the Bouncer and his spirit is strong. His special abilities include him getting an attack boost and having charged ARMS when at low health. He also can evade attacks with a shockwave if he is charged. His stage is Spring Stadium.
- Ribbon Girl: She is also known as the Airess and that is because she can jump. Her special abilities are being able to jump four times consecutively and being able to drop back down fast. Her stage is Ribbon Ring.
- Ninjara: He is also known as the student of stealth because he is in Ninja college. His special ability is that he can disappear when he dashes or when he successfully guards. His stage is Ninja College.
- Master Mummy: He is known as the Grim Creeper. Mummy is very big and this aligns with one of his abilities. He can’t be knocked back by attacks. He also heals when guarding. His stage is the Mausoleum.
- Min Min: She is the Ramen Bomber. Her ARMS are made of Ramen and her special abilities include kicking attacks that also block. Min Min’s left ARM can turn into a dragon if charged through a throw. Her stage is the Ramen Bowl.
- Mechanica: She is the Scrapyard Scrapper because she is the only character that doesn’t really have ARMS. She built a suit so she could fight. She can hover in the air and she does not get knocked back from attacks. Her stage is the Scrapyard
- Twintelle: She is the Silver Screen Queen because she is an actress. She has ARMS in her hair. Her ability is that when charging in the air she can slow down opponents attacks. Her stage is Cinema Deux.
- Byte & Barq: These two are also known as the Clockwork Cops. They are a powerful robot duo. There are two special abilities the pair have. Byte can use Barq for a higher jump and Barq attacks on his own. Their stage is Buster Beach
- Kid Cobra: He is also known as the Speed Demon. He can dash consecutively when charged and he dashes through attacks. His stage is Snake Park.
- Helix: He is the “Man” of Mystery. He was created in a laboratory and he has a very different play style. If you hold the jump button Helix will stretch and his body will stay on the ground, while his torso can be moved to dodge incoming attacks. He also ducks under attacks when dashing. His stage is the DNA Lab.
When fighting you can curve your attacks or keep them straight to throw the enemy off. You are also able to block punches. When blocking, your ARMS will charge and this will lead to the ARMS and characters’ abilities. You can also throw your opponent for extra damage. Throws will beat blocks. You can release a rush attack when the yellow meter will charged. This is a very powerful move that is hard to dodge.
There are single-player as well as online game modes. The modes cover all levels of game-play. There are fun modes for those that don’t want to play competitively and a ranked mode for people that do. These modes include:
- Grand Prix: This is a single-player mode that doesn’t require internet. This consists of one on one fights.
- Versus: This mode has many games that can be played in it.
- Team battle: Two on two match.
- V-Ball: This is a game of volleyball.
- Hoops: This is a one on one basketball game, but instead of trying to put a ball in the net you are trying to put your opponent in the net.
- Skillshot: This is a one on one match of skills.
- 1-on-100: You try to take down as many opponents before you are taken down.
- Party Match: A fun online mode that can hold up to 20 people. They use Versus mode’s games and one on one battles.
- Ranked Match: It has competitive one on one fights.
In these matches you will use ARMS, what the characters fight with. Each weapon is different and has an attribute. There are seven different attributes and each weapon fits under one.
- Fire: These burn your enemies.
- Lightning: These shock your opponents.
- Wind: These spin your enemies.
- Ice: These freeze your opponents.
- Explosion: These do massive damage to enemies.
- Blind: These keep your opponents from seeing.
ARMS are the main part of this game, so you will want to be able to collect and upgrade them. You do this through the ARMS Getter mini game. You will use the coins you win through battling to pay for the amount of time you get in the mini game. In the mini game you will be able to collect new and old ARMS. Any repeated ARMS you receive will upgrade the old ones. You can only have three ARMS to switch between at any time so you will want to choose the ARMS you take into battle carefully.
ARMS is a boxing game by Nintendo. Each character has unique abilities and their own stage. This makes for a lot of strategy. The strategy in the game makes it very competitive and fun. As a result, there are game modes for competitive and noncompetitive players. This is a very fun game that I think you and your friends will enjoy.
Once again I recommend using a VPN service to play ARMS. A VPN will give you an IP address from the server location you choose. It will also improve performance by decreasing your ping and protect you from DDoS attacks. It will also help you get past geographical restrictions and the firewalls at school or work.
How to Use a VPN to Play ARMS on Nintendo Switch
I’ll use IPVanish for the example of how to use a VPN service to play ARMS online. They are my favorite VPN for gaming because IPVanish manages their own network which makes the service faster and more reliable than most providers. You can also view our Top 10 VPN list for more options.
The first step to getting set up with IPVanish is normally to download the client software for your system. IPVanish offers free client software for Windows, Mac and Linux. In addition to free apps for iOS and Android. Obviously that won’t work for Nintendo Switch since the game console lacks the native support for VPN. Luckily, there is still a way to encrypt your gaming traffic and send it through a VPN. The answer is running the VPN through your router.
Depending on what brand and model of router you use, it might support third party VPN services. If so you can get the necessary information from your VPN provider to set up a PPTP or L2TP connection through your router. Otherwise I highly recommend FlashRouters. The FlashRouters team takes popular, brand name routers and flashes them with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware. That allows the devices to have far more features than they would with the factory firmware installed. All FlashRouters come pre-configured with support for VPN.
Once you have an IP address from the IPVanish server in the United States you can browse the Internet and play online games as if you were actually there. The same is true from any country. Connect to a server in the United Kingdom to unblock access to sites like BBC iPlayer or another country to watch Netflix content in that region.
As you can probably tell by now a good VPN will improve your online gaming experience and opens access to content around the world. If you live outside the United States a VPN can help you access popular streaming services like Netflix, Hulu and Pandora. You still need an account for services like Netflix but the VPN will help you watch US television shows and movies on Netflix as if you were sitting in the United States or any other region you would like to access.
Improve Game Speed and Block DDoS Attacks
If you are having problems with lag and DDoS attacks these recommendations should help:
Ways of fixing issues with lag on Nintendo Switch:
- Check your speed at speedtest.net. If your speed is fast on a laptop or tablet, but the Switch is having issues with lag then your wifi connection may be slowing it down. In this case I recommend you connect the Switch to your router with a network cable or move the console closer to the router to test the connection. Note: to connect the console directly to your router you will need a LAN adapter.
- If you try these options and the Nintendo Switch is still not performing well I would recommend a VPN. Once again a VPN can provide you with a better path to the gaming server which can help reduce lag.
- If you think it is your router having problems then I would recommend you reset it. This can take care of a lot of networking issues. If your router continues to have issues then you might consider a custom DD-WRT or Tomato based device. The custom firmware is well suited for high performance and supports VPN.
How to avoid DDos attacks:
- The best way to avoid DDos attacks is to use a VPN. Once again we recommend IPVanish. They run on top of the same game delivery network as Steam and other popular online gaming platforms.
- A VPN will help you avoid DDos attacks by changing your IP address. You can connect to a server in your home country or another region of the world. Doing so will change your IP address which will protect you from DDos attacks since the attacker won’t know what IP address you will be using each time you connect.
Enjoy all the action as you play ARMS online. Please share this post with your friends so they can enjoy playing from anywhere in the world with a VPN. Follow us @VPNFan for the latest deals and guides.